Joys…Past, Present and Future

“You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.”*

           One source of joy in my life among many others has been in raising orchids and watching them bloom. I have only owned a few, and just common ones, but there is always great excitement when something else besides roots begins growing from the base of an orchid.

“Look, there’s a spike on this one,” I’ll tell Al, holding it up for him to see. Since orchids don’t bloom very often, maybe only once or twice a year, it’s always a big event in our household.
In the past, the finicky plants would only last a few months before turning yellow, withering up and dying. On three or four trips to the coast, Al and I visited a nursery that specialized in orchids. Each time we brought one home, knowing that it probably wouldn’t make it. And we were right!
 Maybe it was the hot climate of the central valley of California or over-watering. Whatever the reason, I just couldn’t seem to keep them alive and finally gave up trying. But then I met a neighbor who raised orchids as a hobby, dozens of them and of many different varieties.
Our Springville neighbor, Darlene, was suffering from Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS) at that time. She needed help caring for her plants. When we met and her need became known, I volunteered to help, warning her about my black orchid thumb. She laughed and told me that there were definite things to do and things not to do and that she would show me whenever I came over to her house.
Darlene was a good teacher, explaining what to use for potting the orchids, when to water and where to place them so that they would get enough sun, but not be burned by the powerful rays. It wasn’t until later though that I tried raising them on my own…in our laundry room!
Besides the do’s and don’ts of orchid care, we also talked a great deal about spiritual matters. She was greatly concerned about her future, especially as her body became increasingly unable to function as it should. One day I asked her if she would like to have the pastor of our church come for a visit.
“I’d like that very much,” she immediately responded. After hearing about Darlene’s situation, he agreed and I offered to go along with him. We three sat in a circle, with Darlene in her wheelchair, listening to her questions, talking and listening some more. She was eager to make things right with God, surrendering her life to Jesus that afternoon.
It was amazing seeing her face shine with joy and hope, the anxious expression replaced by one of peace. I was overjoyed as well, knowing that Jesus would be with her, helping her face the future. Al and I continued to visit Darlene, caring for the plants, bringing communion to her on Sundays, reading the Bible to her and praying with and for her.
After she passed away, I couldn’t see an orchid without thinking of her. I was hesitant to try raising them in Michigan, thinking that it would be too cold— completely the opposite from a tropical climate. However, Al surprised me with two purple and white Phalaenopsis or “moth” orchids shortly after moving into our house. And then, friends who were moving gave us another Phalaenopsis, just as Al and I had bequeathed all of our plants to friends and family before our move from California.
Three orchids, oh my! They were placed near a window in the kitchen with a purple grow light for rainy or foggy days. The orchids must have liked the humidity in that environment, because just a few weeks ago I noticed spikes beginning to develop on two of them.
“Look, honey,” I excitedly called to Al, “the orchids are going to bloom!”
While I am waiting with anticipation for the flowering of the orchids, I am also filled with joy as I wait in anticipation of celebrating Jesus’ “birthday,” a little over a month away… Jesus, who offers new life and the hope of being with Him in heaven forever to all those who put their trust in Him.
No matter what else is going on in our lives, may we rejoice in God’s gift of Jesus to all people during this holiday season and all year long.
*Acts 2:28 NIV

The new blooms on the new orchids in our new house and our new state...👍😉
Collection of orchids grown in the laundry room in Springville
                                                          
"Oh, happy day!"

                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
                                             

Comments

Popular Posts