Social Distancing Required



 “But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.” *

I’ve been feeling a little like Robinson Crusoe lately, cut off from physical contact with family and most people, except for Al. Although we aren’t stranded on a desert island, it still is taking time and creativity to figure out ways of coping with this new way of life called “social distancing.” Like any major change in life, the mandate to distance ourselves from others has created stress and has caused us to make many adjustments.

Since the ‘stay at home’ order has been enacted in Michigan, our days seem much the same. “I wake up every morning and I think, ‘Same old thing. Nothing new to do!’”  Al commented one morning. Halting all activities, including worship services and family get-togethers, has left certainly left a void in both of our lives. It has also created lots of questions like “How are we going to get our hair cut?” and “When can I go to the gym again?” and especially, “How long is this going to last?" Staying away from our grandchildren and family has been especially hard. We miss them all. 

In keeping with the Crusoe theme, we are working on a 550-piece puzzle of a jumbled pile of  beach glass, a first after 37 years of marriage! It’s not a good one for the first time, since most of the pieces are similar in shape and the picture doesn’t have a definitive design. If we can find a few pieces each day that fit correctly, we’re doing good!

 “This is going to take a lot of patience,” said Al when we began working on it several days ago. Well, if there is one thing that this ordeal is going to teach us all, it’s how to be patient! So, the puzzle is very appropriate in more ways than one! Since it is spread out all over the dining room table, we are now eating all of our meals on TV trays in the small kitchen.

The dogs and I are still taking our invigorating daily walks around the neighborhood. Occasionally, two little neighbor girls come with us on their scooters. Al and I have hardly seen them all winter; however, they’ve been taking their recess from schoolwork outside, screeching as they race up and down the sidewalk on their scooters. 

 Occasionally one or both of them will accompany us. No worry about social distancing though. They are always half a block ahead. On one of our walks, they whizzed past a woman who was just coming outside with her two young kids. She looked at our parade and asked, “So how are you doing?”

 “Oh, fine! They are not mine. They’re our neighbors.” I answered as we walked by, pointing to the girls who were waiting for me at the corner.

“Oh,” she replied sounding very tired. When I asked how she was doing, she answered, “Just hanging in there!” That didn’t sound good. The schools had only been closed for four days! “Help her, Lord,” I prayed silently.

Like the puzzle, it’s slow going, one piece at a time. Our lives seem as though they have been fractured, tumbled about like beach glass.  But there is a picture emerging…one of kind people reaching out to us, pastors helping us continue our spiritual journey over the internet, family and neighbors doing our grocery shopping, a home delivery of medication by the small pharmacy we use…

Inspiring scriptures and familiar hymns are bringing new hope as more time is spent reading, talking to and listening to the Lord each day. Our loving Heavenly Father is our refuge, comforting, protecting and strengthening us during these uncertain times. May we draw near to Him, putting every detail of our lives in His hands and by His grace may we be able to say, “It is well with my soul!”



“When peace like a river, attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say

It is well, it is well, with my soul.



Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come

Let this blest assurance control,

That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate

And hath shed His own blood for my soul.”

 (Hymn, “It is Well” by Horatio Spafford)
*Psalm 73:28 NIV





Comments

Popular Posts