Memorable Mom Moments

“Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.”*

As Mother’s Day approaches, there are some special memories of my mom, Maddie, and of my mother-in-law, Char, that stand out in my mind. Both were wonderful mothers, nurturing their children, teaching them to love and respect others by their own example and giving them a strong spiritual foundation on which to build their lives.

My mom loved the outdoors and was happy whenever the family went on camping trips. Dad was a coach and PE teacher, so inexpensive outings were best. Camping, rock hunting and digging for old bottles on the week-ends were among our favorite things to do.

Mom never seemed to mind the extra work involved even after the twins were born in 1960, increasing her load from caring for three of us to five. But she must have been tired, because sometimes she’d fall asleep while sitting on the shore of a lake or stream with her fishing pole between her knees.

When the end of the pole started jiggling, one of us would yell, “Mom wake up! You’ve caught one!” She would wake up just in time to reel it in. Funny!

A vivid picture in my mind is of her wielding an army shovel while leading a group of Campfire girls on a hike at summer camp. Any rattlesnake that happened to cross her path had to contend with that shovel!

            Before she and dad were married, mom worked as a seamstress. She enjoyed sewing and often made our clothes. When I showed some interest in sewing as a teenager, she signed me up for lessons. The lessons didn’t work out well though, because the teacher was too demanding. I told mom that it wasn’t fun anymore; so, she decided to teach me herself.

In her mind there were no failures, only opportunities for success. I was never reprimanded for making a mess of something. If a project didn’t turn out just right, she’d say, “Well, let’s see how we can fix that.”

Once I made a dress that ended up being too short. Mom came up with the idea to add a white skirt around the bottom edge of the red bodice! Her idea worked and I was happy with the new creation! With her support and encouragement, I was willing to try new things.

A few years before dad passed away, he told me that his life with mom had been extremely happy. “There isn’t one thing that I would change,” he said sincerely.

His statement was a wonderful tribute to her. Mom’s love for dad and her devotion to him made a lasting impact on me, influencing my own marriage in many ways. She really was a gift from God!

 Al’s mom, Char, and I met for the first time a few days before Al and I got married. He was still teaching that day, so I drove from Bakersfield through the busy Los Angeles traffic to pick her up at the LAX. In addition to the nerve-wracking drive, was the excitement and anticipation of meeting her. We had only seen pictures of each other. How would I know Char, and how would we get along?

Shortly after finding a parking place and walking to the gate, the passengers on her flight began deboarding the plane. It wasn’t long before Char walked through the gate, waving and wearing a big smile on her face. My first reaction was to burst into tears! Then we hugged, laughed and cried together. She instantly made me feel like one of the family.

Char instilled within Al and her other two children a love for music from the time they were very young. She would take Al to the Michigan State fairgrounds each year to hear the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, pushing him around in his stroller.

Char’s passion for music was a legacy from her mother, who studied under Joseph Maddy, the founder of the Interlochen Arts Academy near Traverse City. Imagine the joy Char felt when Al’s daughter Shanda went to Interlochen for three years of high school. And later, when she found out that Shanda had won her audition as a violist for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Char was ecstatic!  She was one of Shanda’s most enthusiastic fans.

Both moms, Maddie and Char, were great blessings to me as well as to their families. Lord, thank you for these wonderful mothers! They are not forgotten!

* Proverbs 31:28 NIV

 

Comments

  1. You were a beautiful bride, Judy! Love, Tina Kurtz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts