The Green Cruise...a Commitment? 


   As of Monday, there is a sign on our front lawn advertising an event coming up in August called the “Green Cruise.” The Green cruise is a bike ride with the purpose of generating support for the environment in addition to being a healthy, enjoyable activity. There will be two rides to choose from: a 22 mile loop or a more extensive one that is about twice as long.
   Al has been planning on participating in the shorter of the two rides for several months, working out at the gym and riding his bike nearly every day. While I like the idea of riding along with him and the challenge of making the distance, I haven’t been nearly as disciplined. Entertaining the idea and making a commitment are two different things!
   It would be easier to get up on the morning of the event, suffer through it and be done, than practice and train. Reality check...maybe that would have worked forty years ago! Even though we have been riding more, it is now late in July and I still haven’t made the twenty-two mile goal.
   Along with building up to longer distances, Al and I also need to work out a system of communication while riding. For instance, recently when he reached a point where he wanted to make a U turn, Al stuck his left arm straight out. I thought he was going to make a left and nearly ran into him as he was coming around. What arm signal shows a U turn?
   Another time, I shouted something to him as he was riding ahead. He put out his right arm, pointing down at an angle. Why was he using the other arm to signal?
   “Are you trying to tell me to turn right?” I yelled.
   "No,” he yelled over his shoulder. “I just wanted you to know that I heard you!”
   Well, this is a learning experience for sure. I wonder what will happen if there are thirty of us in a pack trying to stay together. That will be interesting! How fast will the group be riding? Will there be a rest stop midway? That’s important!
   Some of these questions were answered when we called the man who would be leading the ride. After talking with him, it seemed more doable, especially with a rest stop at a park about three blocks from our house! The first thought that entered my mind was that I could ride home if I was too tired! Oh dear! That doesn’t seem like a wholehearted commitment, does it?
   So, will I ride in the Green Cruise? That is the question. My body aches and hurts after half hour workouts at the gym and after only riding a third of the distance out on the road. Resting a couple of days helps, then it starts all over again. What to do? It would be tempting to just show up at the halfway point with ice water and lemonade for the riders!
   I was inspired after reading A Deep Gladness, by Gina Riendeau, the story of a missionary couple to the Congo who spent several decades of life in Africa and endured many terrifying rebel uprisings. Ken and Lorriane Enright’s decision to serve the people of the Congo and fulfill God’s calling to the mission field turned out to be a lifelong commitment.
   In comparison, my commitment to the coming bike ride seems halfhearted at best. Am I willing to commit myself to doing whatever is necessary to accomplish it? Even more important, is my commitment to follow Christ one that will last throughout my lifetime, withstanding troubles and trials? Good things to seriously think about!
   Dear Father, please give us wisdom in making decisions and strength to carry through with commitments. Change our attitudes if need be and help us glorify you in all that we do. Thank you for being with us always. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
   “If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!” Proverbs 24:18 NIV
   “Let us not grow weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9 NIV

   






Comments

Popular Posts