The Source of Joy

                                                           


Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy. Let all creation rejoice before the LORD, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his faithfulness.” *

            Yesterday morning, there was a nice surprise on the doorstep—a Christmas centerpiece consisting of a plant in a holiday tin. In the middle of the plant was a cardinal made of red feathers and foam. Later we discovered that our neighbor, Melinda Smith, had dropped it off as a way of saying “thank you” and “Merry Christmas!”

            In addition to her surprise, today I was standing at the kitchen sink looking out the window when a ruby red cardinal caught my attention. This one was real, sitting on the bare branches of a shrub. Maybe he was drawn to the bright red topnotch of a metallic woodpecker that Al had fastened to a nearby stump.

            Cardinals are plentiful in our area. Being a California native, I get happy whenever I see one.  Both cardinal surprises this week have brought smiles and joy!

I’m sure you have many things that give you happiness and a feeling of joy as well. For Al, it comes from bringing me hot tea in the morning, cooking for me and knowing that I love him, all of which make me even more joyful!  Together we share the joys of watching our daughter Shanda play the viola with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and of being close to her and the family.

The underlying source of my joy is the knowledge that God loves me, that He has a plan for my life and that I can walk in a close relationship with Him through faith in Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit. It is a deep and abiding state of being, no matter the circumstances I am facing, the physical pain or emotional distress I am experiencing.

When the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary with the news that she had been chosen by God to be mother of the Messiah, she must have been distraught, her world suddenly turned upside down. However, she responded with a great statement of faith, “I am the Lord’s servant…May it be to me as you have said.” (Luke 1:38 NIV)

Gabriel also told Mary that her relative, Elizabeth, who was beyond child bearing age, was pregnant. This was a confirmation to the young woman that nothing was impossible for God. Perhaps it motivated her to make the quick decision to leave her home in Nazareth and travel to the hill country of Judea where Elizabeth lived. Maybe Mary had to see for herself; doubtless she was in need of encouragement and support.

Not only did Mary receive a warm welcome from the older woman, she also received these hopeful words of blessing from Elizabeth as she was filled with the Holy Spirit: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear. But why am I so favored that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!” (Luke 1:42b-45 NIV)

Upon hearing these words, joy replaced any other emotion that Mary might have been feeling. She responded by singing a song of praise to God.

“My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me—holy is his name…” (Luke 1:46-49 NIV)

Just as the God of hope filled Mary with joy and peace, so he fills each of us with joy when we turn away from our sins and turn to Him in faith. May we celebrate Christmas this year knowing Jesus is with us each step of the way! He is our source of eternal joy. Rejoice!

 

“Joy to the World, the Lord is come!

                                                              Let earth receive her King;

                                                        Let every heart prepare Him room,

                                                              And Heaven and nature sing…” 

                                                        (“Joy to the World,” Isaac Watts, 1719)

*Psalm 96: 11-13 NIV

 

 

 

 



Comments

Popular Posts