Doing Great Things—Together



“‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.’ “*

            Since moving to Michigan, Al and I have been able to attend a variety of performances by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, as well as quartets, ensembles and even youth civic concerts…all of this resulting from the involvement of our daughter and grandkids in music. They are gifted people!

            Due to the fact that the focus of our family was mainly on sports when I was growing up, I have learned to appreciate classical music late in life. And it has been a very positive experience for me! We participated in and attended many sports events—football, swimming and basketball to name a few—but never went to a symphony.

Our only contact with that type of music was when we drove north from Bakersfield to see my cousin who was a wonderful ballerina, dance with the Oakland Metropolitan Ballet company. Swan Lake and the Nutcracker ballet were two that we saw most often. The beautiful music coming from the orchestra pit below the stage continued to play on in my head for days after her performances.

Not only do I enjoy seeing our daughter and grandkids perform on stage, I’m in awe at the amazing quality of the music…the product of the composer, director and musicians… and have never been disappointed by any of those we have attended.

 Well, there was one that came close, when “Bugs Bunny at the Symphony” was shown on a big screen with the DSO playing the music from the sound tracks in sync with the cartoons. The music was good; however, two hours of Looney Tunes cartoons nearly did me in!

 Al and I attended a memorable Sunday afternoon concert at Orchestra Hall early in October along with our youngest grandson, Elliot. We went to see daughter and mom, Shanda, perform with the DSO. Elliot, in the fifth grade, had just started playing violin as part of the music program at his school and was also interested in seeing Ray Chen, a dynamic and amazing violinist, perform as the soloist with the orchestra.

We three sat close enough to the stage so that we could see Shanda playing in the viola section, indeed close enough to see all of the facial expressions of Ray Chen as he dramatically played his violin. He was an amazing musician, one who had obviously played the Concerto for Violin and Orchestra  numerous times and who put his whole heart and soul into it.

 Chen was positioned next to Jader Bignamini, the conductor and musical director. Their interaction and combined talents produced great results. We all loved it and were inspired by Chen’s talent. 

 It took more than just one person to make that performance so special, however. Each musician used his or her own gifts, following the conductor’s cues, enhancing the parts of the soloist and striving to play the music as Sibelius intended in the first place. Then there were all of the people who worked behind the scenes…

The audience felt this energy and gave a roaring ovation with people leaping up to their feet at the end of the piece. This experience made quite an impression on me, speaking to me powerfully of the way that God intends His church to function, as a unified body with Christ at the head.

Each member of Christ’s body is gifted in a unique way, not only to build up the church itself but also to spread the good news of Jesus throughout the world. As we follow His leading and allow the Holy Spirit to work through us individually and collectively, the results will be amazing—far greater than anything we could ever imagine.

May we step out in faith and use all of the gifts that He has given us to change the world for the better.  

“I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” (John 14:12-14 NIV)

*Isaiah 55:8-9 NIV

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts