“The Jesus Revolution”—A Homecoming!



“‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’” *

As Al and I sat in front of the big screen at a local theater recently, we wondered how long it had been since we had last been to the movies. Years, for sure!

This was a special occasion, an event planned by our pastor for folks who were interested in seeing “The Jesus Revolution.” I was especially interested because of my involvement with the Jesus Movement when attending UCLA from 1967-1970.

Transferring from a small junior college to the huge campus was quite a shock. It took weeks to find my way around the campus and even then, it was easy to get lost. Not only was I lost on the campus, I was also lost in a sea of unfamiliar faces.

There were only one or two acquaintances who had gone to UCLA, and the campus was so big that we never ran into each other. However, before school officially started, a small group of girls on my same floor in the dorm began a Bible Study, supporting each other in prayer and forming friendships that would last a lifetime.

 Those were tumultuous times on campus with protests against the war in Vietnam, experimentation in LSD and civil rights demonstrations as well as other interests trying to attract young, vulnerable minds. But many students were turning to faith in Christ as well.

Christian groups on campus organized a march down Wilshire Boulevard carrying signs and banners proclaiming “Jesus Loves You!” Another time, many students gathered to form a human chain across the lawn next to the student union in support of Christ. And then there were the fellows who periodically came through the student union with bullhorns announcing the good news of Jesus!

Although I had never gotten involved in the hippie movement or taken drugs, my heart had been broken by the news reports on TV of the terrible conditions in San Francisco, Newport Beach and other places around the country. The sad, empty eyes of young people who were trying to find happiness and truth through drugs haunted me.  

After  graduation, I taught school in Anaheim and lived in Huntington Beach for a couple of years, then moved further down the coast to Newport Beach. In 1972, I  became involved in a 24-hour hotline affiliated with Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa.  

A walk-in center was also established along with the hotline. Compassionate counselors served at the center, many of whom had formerly been hippies and had given their lives to Christ.

 By being a part of that ministry, I saw the power of the Holy Spirit working to deliver people from drugs and the joy they experienced when they gave their lives to Christ. My life was transformed as I began to realize the depth of my sin…something I hadn’t experienced until that point.

The years seemed to roll back as I watched the “Jesus Revolution.”  Lots of emotions came to the surface and tears too. It was an amazing time of my life, a turning point spiritually as well as in many other ways.

It was while I was working at the hotline that I began regularly attending Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa. Worship services were being held outdoors in a large tent while a sanctuary, a school and other facilities were being constructed nearby.

At that time, the reality of Jesus’ love for me personally touched my heart. Chuck Smith, the pastor, beamed with the love of Christ. He welcomed all people, with or without shoes…and they came by the hundreds, carrying their Bibles and swaying to the music of “Love Song” and other Christian bands.

It was common to see the church parking lot filled with all types of vehicles, including vans painted in bright colors, inscribed with sayings like, “Jesus loved you so much it hurt!” and “One Way!”

Pastor Chuck’s messages were simple, straight from the Bible, verse by verse…satisfying to people whose souls were hungry for the truth. He was a father figure to them, one who was not condemning but rather yearning for God’s prodigal children to come home.

Is another revival on the way? If so, are we ready? Will we be part of the celebration? I hope so!

*Luke 15:31-32 NIV

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts