Several ladies gathered around a table at the Springville library with yarn and knitting needles, eager to learn the basics of the age old art. It was the third time the group had met, but only my second. I had to miss the last meeting because we were out of town. We were all working on the same pattern, a neck scarf using a basic stitch, the knit or garter stitch. Each of us had chosen different yarns, which made for a variety of  brightly colored scarves.
    I was amazed at the progress they had made since the very first time we got together. I still had four feet to go on my neck scarf, while many of them had finished that project and were already making other things. One pretty young mother brought a beautiful collar she was knitting in yellow yarn. She had nearly finished it when she discovered that there were three or four places where reddish fiber had been spun with the yellow.
    "What can I do to fix this?" she asked our teacher, Hope.
    "Well," said Hope after examining the collar. "It's a beautiful piece. You just wouldn't be happy with those red spots in it. I think you should rip out the stitches, take out the reddish fibers and then knit it again."
     It was a painful thing to do, considering all of the time that had gone into the collar. But, Hope helped her to take out two-thirds of the stitches, cut out the unwanted yarn and begin again. It didn't take long and soon she was back at work.
    I watched the whole process, thinking of the times in my life when I had hurt someone and needed to go back and ask forgiveness--a very hard and painful thing to do. But, always the right thing.
    "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1John1:9

Comments

Popular Posts