A Former Student Checks in...

   Recently I received a surprise email from a young fellow, Jason, who was in my second grade class about twenty years ago. He had seen my picture in the Good News! column one Saturday (Porterville Recorder) and decided to write. Yes, I remembered him well.
   Jason was a new student to our school. He seemed shy, withdrawn and lonely.  One day I happened to walk by his desk and noticed that he had written down the names of all of the Ninja turtles, spelling them correctly. It was amazing, because up to that time, he hadn't let on that he could read and write. He really had me hoodwinked. So, after talking to his mom, Jason was moved up to the highest reading group...and did just fine there.
    Jason called me occasionally as he went through elementary, junior high and high school. He was interested in comic books, had a talent for drawing and a gift for writing. So, it wasn't a big surprise to find out that he has just finished writing a comic book and hopes to have one of the big publishers pick it up. He says that he has had "rave reviews" and I believe him, after reading the 275+ pages online.
    He also has found the old drive-in theater near his home in sad repair and is trying to spearhead a movement to have the property cleaned up. The owners seem to have abandoned their responsibility to maintain it years ago. So, Jason recently attended the city council meeting, taking along photos and describing the mess he found there to the council.
    Go for it Jason! I'm so proud of you! And thanks for making me a character in the Ballad of the Sparrow. May it find a good "home" soon!
(In case you are wondering, the main character Michael Hassett, moves to a new school in the 2nd grade. His teacher is a tall, skinny brunette who likes to travel--Mrs. Lowery!)

Comments

Popular Posts