Getting over the hurdles!

    My most recent piano assignment is Bach's Prelude in C, a fairly short piece which was first written for the harpsichord. Now when Rosemary gave me this assignment before Christmas (or was it before Thanksgiving?) it seemed like something she thought I--a 65 year old beginning/intermediate keyboard student--could learn. Rosemary must have great faith in me even after watching me struggle through 8 years of lessons, trying to get both hands to work in sync with my brain.
      But Bach is difficult, even a short prelude in the key of  C. It feels like I'm stumbling around a race track trying to jump over hurdles. Every measure has a new hurdle. One painful note at a time...forget about the music flowing. Just when one hand is going in the right direction, the other had has to move in the opposite direction at a different speed.
      Rosemary  played it for me the other day, the way it was supposed to be played with feeling,  confidence and no mistakes! Well, maybe I'll get there. At least I know what to shoot for.
      My struggle with Bach reminds me of the days when it seems like all I'm doing is jumping over one hurdle after another and nothing flows smoothly!  The challenge is to keep my focus on Jesus during those times, trusting Him and looking to Him for the strength and determination to continue around the track day after day. I am so thankful that He doesn't give up on me!
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses (listed in Hebrews ch. 11), let us throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts