Michigan Visit


          Al and I will be going out to Michigan to reconnect with our family very soon, most of whom are in the Detroit area. Our last trip to Detroit was eventful in many ways. We flew there in mid-December 2012 to help Al’s mom, Char, celebrate her 95th birthday!
It was a wonderful time of reunion with things planned every minute, or so it seemed. There were plenty of hugs from our two littlest grandchildren, visits to Char’s retirement home, trips to see grandson Nate’s preschool and swim school, a concert on Fri night in which step-daughter Shanda played, shopping, the big birthday party...and in the midst of all of this Al had the stomach flu! He spent the first days we were there sleeping in the hotel, which meant that I had to maneuver the rental car through the suburbs of Detroit all by myself.
 I had never paid much attention to where we were going on previous trips to Michigan. For the first time, I had to venture out on my own with a prayer, a sheet of written directions on my lap or in my hand (no sync or GPS in the rental car), and the courage to just go for it, knowing I could always back-track if I made a wrong turn somewhere.
It took a little adjusting to get used to the rules of the road, some of which were different than those in California. Oh, and I didn’t realize that the windshields would be icy early in the morning after the car sat out in the parking lot all night! Surprise! But, hey, grandkids were waiting and we had places to go, so I figured out how to de-ice them in a hurry.
Everything worked out great....Praise the Lord! Sleet and snow would have been more of an obstacle, but I would have had to venture out just like the people do who live here and who drive to work daily during the winter months. It would take a lot more to keep me away from our grandchildren.
Thank you, dear Lord, for stretching me beyond my comfort zone, for being with me and helping me over hurdles. I love you, Judy
P.S. Thanks that Al will be able to do all of the driving on this trip!

 “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.” Ps 23:1-3 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts