The Search Goes On!


Judy and Linda in 1982, Bakersfield CA.  Showing off Linda's 'new' car!

    A few days ago, as I was standing outside of the car waiting in line for assistance at a local recycling center, a lady who was also waiting came over with a big smile and a hug. I had to ask her who she was, an unfortunate situation which seems to be occurring more frequently nowadays. So, she patiently and kindly re-introduced herself as Debra, a fellow teacher and friend. She told me that she had read my book, “Letters to Loki” on her Kindle and that it touched her.
    “I have to ask you how the search for Loki is going,” she inquired.
     “Well, I haven’t found her yet,” I said. “Hopefully, one of these days!”
     Loki is the thirty-year old daughter of my friend, Linda Farrow. At the time Loki was born, Linda was single, living on disability in Kona, Hawaii and struggling with mental illness. After several months, Linda made the agonizing decision to give the baby up for adoption.
    The husband and wife who adopted Loki were missionaries with Youth with a Mission, living in Honolulu at the time. That was the only information given to Linda by the authorities. She had no more contact with Loki and a few years later, returned to her home state of California after a tragic accident which left her as a quadriplegic. Linda unexpectedly passed away in 1996, leaving some photos and things with me in case I ever found Loki.
     When Loki turned 21, I tried to find Linda’s family to see if they had heard from her. By that time Linda’s parents were also deceased and there was no way to contact her siblings. The desire to find Loki in order to pass along her birth mother’s legacy of courage, love and faith in Jesus Christ motivated me to keep trying.
       I wrote a letter to the editor of the Bakersfield Californian, in hopes of reconnecting with Linda’s sibling and also to the editor of the paper in Honolulu where Loki supposedly grew up. A letter was also sent to Child Protective Services in Kona to be put into her file.
      Last year I finished writing the little book about my friendship with Linda, another way of getting the word out. People who have heard about my efforts to find Loki have shared some amazing stories about how they connected with their birth parents and have given me good advice on different things to try.
      Recently I decided to write to the founder of YWAM, Dr. Loren Cunningham, and his wife. In 1980, he started the University of the Nations, a discipleship training school for missionaries from around the world which was headquartered in Kona, Hawaii. Perhaps he or his wife would remember a missionary couple from the islands who adopted a baby from Kona thirty years ago. It was a very long shot—like putting a message in a bottle and throwing it into the ocean.
     I had forgotten all about writing to the Cunninghams until Debra asked me how my search was going. There hasn’t been a response yet; however, I do believe that one day Loki and I will meet.
     Dear friends, your prayers would be appreciated as this exciting search continues. I’ll keep you posted. Just ask when you see me…oh and you might have to introduce yourself too!

 “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1 NIV
   

Comments

Popular Posts