“Onward, Forward, Upward!”







    Al and I were invited to attend a special concert followed by a catered dinner on Saturday evening, May 9, at a private home above Springville. Two talented and accomplished musicians, one playing the violin and the other accompanying on piano, performed several beautiful pieces together.  The women received a standing ovation at the end of the concert, their hard work and practice very evident.
    Three young people also showcased special songs they had learned on the piano. One little boy (8) had only been taking lessons for about six months. His great-aunt who happened to be the violinist and hostess, had invited him to perform, which he did with a great deal of poise, even down to his ending bow for the audience.
    We enjoyed the wonderful evening of music and the dinner afterwards. It was especially nice having the opportunity to visit with friends, many of whom we don’t see very often. I met the mother of the little eight-year old boy, who was intricately involved with his lessons and practicing schedule. When she found out that I have been taking lessons for about ten years, she asked, “Well, why weren’t you up there at the piano?”
      “Are you kidding?” I answered. “I’d have a panic attack getting up in front of other people.” Then I proceeded to tell her the long sad story about the talent show at my elementary school, when I tried to play “Song of the Volga Boatmen” on my clarinet, ‘umpteen’ years ago.
       It wasn’t a difficult song, but the fragile reed on the mouthpiece cracked right in the middle of a high note, making a very loud squeak! That shocked the audience who began laughing, as well as making me mortified. After it was over, I rushed back to the classroom and put my head down on the desk, in tears. The teacher was nice enough to let me leave school and walk home (right across the street). That was the beginning of my reluctance to participate in recitals or other solo performances.
       “We all have our own struggles,” the woman said. “When we face them, we become better people. I don’t have a problem getting in front of people, but I do have other  issues.”
       As that point I was thinking…“Lady, I’m sixty-seven years old. I don’t have to do it if I don’t want to!” Her words rang true however, revealing stubbornness, pride and fear in my heart. Perhaps I need to view those experiences as opportunities to do something for the Lord with joy, giving back what He has given to me.   
      Dear Father, Thank you for the gift of music. Please forgive me for being stubborn and for being more concerned about what people will think of me than of being obedient to you. Help me to desire to work for your glory and your kingdom and to use those gifts you have given me to focus on you rather than on me. In Jesus’ name, Amen
      “Onward, forward, upward!”
“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts