Getting a New Front Porch



       When Al asked what I would like for Mother’s Day, the first thing that came to mind was having our front porch repaired. It didn’t seem like a huge project, consisting of only a flat, rectangular area of cement. But over the years, the porch had been chipped away in places and was discolored with moss and water stains.
       Al called a friend who had done some cement work for us in the past to ask his advice. After looking it over, he gave several options from taking out the old cement and pouring a whole new porch to resurfacing the original one. Al and I decided to have it resurfaced; and our friend agreed to do it.
      Actually it turned into a bigger project and more expensive gift than expected! First it required a lot of ‘elbow grease’ to scour and clean off the old cement. Then the uneven parts had to be chipped away and an electric chisel was used to rough up the surface so that the new cover material would adhere to it. This was hands and knees work. Next came the resurfacing, which took place on a gloomy, muggy summer morning.
       Just as he was smoothing the wet cement, big raindrops began splashing down. Although rain was desperately needed, the drops were marking the new surface of the porch. I had gone outside to see how the project was going and realized that we needed to act fast. There was an old canopy in the garage which covered the half of the porch exposed to the elements. After setting that up, there wasn’t anything more to do.
     “Well, you can depend on it raining either just after you’ve washed the car or poured cement!” he said. “I’ll come back in about a week when it’s completely dry and put new surfacing over any marks left by the rain.”
       A week later, he returned and finished up the job, covering two water marks. After those spots had dried, we began moving the potted plants back in place. Al made the comment that the patched up spots looked much darker than the rest of porch.
      “Oh well,” I responded. “Maybe it won’t even be noticeable once all of the plants are there.” Wishful thinking! The porch definitely was two colors of gray.
      When our friend called back to ask how satisfied we were with the end result, I told him about the difference in color. He offered to come back and work on it some more; so Al and I moved everything off the porch for a second time. That’s where it stands at the time of writing this article—empty and waiting his return.                                  
       The front porch project brought these questions to mind: Am I just as concerned about the condition of my heart as I was about fixing up the porch? Am I willing to let the Lord scrub away the dirt and filth of sin? Smooth out the rough spots of pride and anger? Replace selfish attitudes with God-centered ones? Am I willing to let Him do what He needs to do in order to change my heart?
       Thank goodness He is patient, taking one step at a time to change me into the person He has created me to be. May we come to God willing, seeking, and yearning for Him to change our hearts. He won’t turn us away. After all, He loves us!

“Therefore my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.” (Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi) Philippians 2:12-13 NIV
       

Comments

Popular Posts