“God-Arranged” Appointments!




   Last Friday evening, the Celebrant Singers and orchestra came to Porterville fresh from their training camp in Three Rivers to put on a concert at Grand Avenue Methodist Church. It was a high energy time of praise and worship. At the end of the concert the musicians and vocalists mingled with their audience to pray with those who so desired, bringing hope and encouragement to many people.
   Afterwards, two of the women in the group came home with us to spend the night. It was fun getting to know them and making new friends. After fixing breakfast in the morning, we took them back to the church where the rest of the Celebrants were gathering. They were going to the Los Angeles area for another concert that evening and then would fly on to Guatemala.
   We had planned on going to the gym and then shopping afterwards. Even though it was still fairly early on Saturday morning, I was ready to cancel those plans, drive home and go back to bed. There were some supplies and errands we needed to do though. So we spent the day shopping and enjoyed eating lunch at a restaurant new to me, but which Al highly recommended. Oh and we even went to the gym—a big accomplishment for me!
    After walking around the last store for several minutes trying to find all of the items on our list, we happened to come to an aisle where a woman was promoting a certain type of vitamin. I struck up a conversation with her, while waiting for Al who was looking through the vitamin bottles lined up on the shelf,
   “How are you today?” I asked.
    “I’m tired because I didn’t sleep well last night. My neck and shoulder were hurting,” she responded.
   “Are your neck and shoulder still sore?”
   “Yes, they are,” she replied rubbing her neck.
     I could relate. Sometimes pain wakes me up in the middle of the night too. The woman told me her name and I offered to pray for her right there in the store. She said that would be alright, stepping away from her table of pills.
    Suddenly that part of the store seemed to quiet down. We bowed our heads and I prayed for the Lord to touch her neck and shoulder with His healing hand.
    Afterwards she thanked me and said, “I need prayers.”
    “Well so do I! We all do,” I laughed. “And we can help each other out by praying for each other.”
     With that, she went back to her table and we finished up our shopping. It took just a moment to stop and pray with her; but it was a “God-arranged” appointment. I went home re-energized, glad that we had stuck to the original plan in spite of being tired.
    You might be wondering if she was healed. Well, the answer to that question may never be known. However, since meeting the lady in the store, I have continued to pray for her. She said she needed prayers. I can do that! It’s up to me to pray; and then it is up to God to work out His plan… in His way… in His time. 
     Just think what would happen if each of us stopped and prayed with one person every day in the store, at work, school or wherever we might be. Our community would be impacted and so would our world. Talk about making a difference! May we be on time for those “God-arranged” appointments!
“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep praying for all of the saints.” Ephesians 6: 18 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts