Two Special “Anns”

   Two important Anns in my life passed away this month…Auntie Ann Turner and Ann Marie Bezayiff. Losing them left big empty spaces in my heart. However, while there is much sorrow, I also have many special memories of each beautiful woman.
   My aunt, mother of five, used to have me come and stay with her family, often for a week at a time. There wasn’t much extra space in their small three bedroom home in San Lorenzo, California, but they always made me feel welcome.
   Auntie Ann took in extra laundry and ironing as a way of supplementing the family income. She would stand at her ironing board and sing as she was ironing. She had a lovely soprano voice and also could yodel, perhaps an influence from her Slovenian background. I loved hearing her sing, yodel and dance joyfully around the living room. Later I discovered that she was a soloist in her church. Auntie Ann’s faith was strong and inspiring to all of us.
   After raising her own brood of five, she helped with grandchildren and ended up as full time caregiver for two great-grandsons until the death of her husband a few years ago. I used to tell her that she had the gift of “kids!” She was a caring, loving and unselfish person.
   Shortly after the death of her husband, Auntie Ann moved just down the street from her youngest son and his wife in Colorado. Being so far away from her was difficult for us. However, Al and I were able to visit with her last summer on our way to South Dakota. She was as sweet and loving as ever. I was sorry that we couldn’t stay longer!
    Ann Marie Bezayiff also had the gift of “kids,” with her own two and then multitudes of children who were her students. She and I taught and worked closely together at Roche Avenue School in Porterville. We became fast friends and were “kindred” spirits, not just in our careers but also in our mutual love for the Lord, encouraging each other to share about our faith through writing. Her columns, “From Apples to Olives” and “Recycled Recipes” in the Porterville Recorder’s special monthly edition for seniors were great favorites.
   When Ann Marie and her husband, David, moved from Lindsay to Maryland to be closer to their daughter and grandchildren, we were able to keep in touch through phone calls and emails. Although she was greatly missed we could catch up quickly by doing what Al called ‘power-talking!’
   The same week in February 2017 that I was undergoing surgery to repair a broken hip, Ann Marie was diagnosed with leukemia. Shocking news! She and I began praying for each other from our hospital rooms. Six months later, our beloved Ann Marie went home to heaven, leaving a huge void in the hearts of her family and friends.
   Yes, both Anns will be greatly missed. I am grateful to have had them in my life. They blessed many, many people—including me.
   Dear Father, please bring comfort to those of us who have had to say goodbye to Ann Turner and Ann Marie Bezayiff, as well to others who have lost loved ones recently. May you hold us close in your arms of love. We need you! In Jesus’ name, Amen.

   “He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.” Psalm 23:2-3a NIV
   “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” Matthew 5:4 NIV
Ann Turner, with Al & Judy Sept. 2016
Ann Marie Bezayiff's obituary, Passed away on July 2nd 2017 in Spring, Texas
Ann Marie Bezayiff, Judy's colleague and friend



Comments

Popular Posts