The Lighting of the Advent Candles

        The tradition of lighting candles on a Christmas Advent wreath was not followed in the church my family attended. It wasn’t until much later that I learned about this custom observed in many denominations during the four weeks preceding Christmas. In our small, hometown church, candles were lit on the altar by acolytes before the Sunday morning worship service. They were also used each year at the end of the Christmas Eve service.
One year the “Candlelight” service was especially memorable. As the congregation began its procession down the two side aisles solemnly holding lit candles and singing “Silent Night,” someone got a little too close to a lacy curtain on the window. There was a gasp as the flame from the candle caught the hem of the curtain and began to burn. Thankfully a person standing nearby acted quickly to put out the fire!
Learning about the Advent wreath—made up of four candles surrounding a larger one—was very meaningful to me, giving a wonderful visual picture of the expectation and anticipation that come around Christmas time.  On the first Sunday in Advent,  one candle is lit representing Peace. The following Sunday, both the candle of Peace and that of Hope are lit.  On the third Sunday, the candle of Love is lit in addition to the first two. The fourth candle is that of Joy.
Usually the candles follow the themes of Peace, Hope, Love and Joy in that order. This leads up to the lighting of the Christ candle in the center of the wreath as we celebrate the greatest blessing of all, His birth!
Recently I spent several hours on an airplane flight from California back to Michigan pondering this question: “Based on your walk with Christ, in what order would you prefer to light the Advent candles?” (Matt Rawle, The Redemption of Scrooge p. 75)
Although I grew up in a safe, nurturing environment there was a longing in my heart for something more to life than what I was experiencing.  When I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ as a sophomore in junior college, I was spiritually reborn. He filled that void with His love. For that reason, the Christ candle would be the first to be lit and right along with it would be the candle of Love.
    To know that I was loved and accepted unconditionally gave me a new sense of purpose and fulfillment. Because my parents had overflowing hearts of love for each of us, it was easy to believe in a loving Heavenly Father. The old familiar passage in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son...” took on new, life-changing meaning.
Next would be the candle of Joy. One of the first things that happened after accepting Him into my life as Savior and Lord was a sense of joy filling my heart. In fact, as I was walking across the college campus one day, a young man noticed me smiling and asked why I was so happy! Knowing He was with me, had a plan for my life and would give me all that was needed to follow Him brought great joy.
Then would come the light from the candle of Peace, peace with God, with myself and peace with others. What great peace of mind it has given me to know that He is in control!
Finally would be the candle of Hope, hope that when I die I will be united with Him and all of His children forever in heaven.
Well, this is an unusual arrangement for the candles on the Advent wreath, beginning first with His birth and my rebirth, and ending with the hope of heaven. However, it is a picture of God’s work in my life... past, present and future. So in what order would you light the Advent candles?
  Dear Father, Thank you for the wonderful gift of Your Son and for the love, joy, peace and hope that come through Him. Set us ablaze for You and let Your light shine in this dark world through us. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Merry Christmas and “God Bless Us Everyone.” (From A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens)
“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26 NIV
     

Comments

Popular Posts