Hindrances or Helps



Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”*

     When we were sightseeing last summer in Helsinki, Finland, Al and I happened upon a team competition that not only involved running a long distance, but also required tests of strength. In one area, teams of both men and women had to drag huge concrete blocks by chains for several yards before continuing the race. The challenge of running a marathon in addition to racing through an obstacle course, rope climbing or a pulling heavy load was mind boggling.
     Lately it seems like we’ve been going through an obstacle course as well. Though not a physical one, it still has tested us emotionally and mentally. For one thing, my usually reliable laptop computer has begun “crashing,” stopping suddenly in the middle of my typing and shutting down unexpectedly.
Together, Al and I are usually able to start it up again and retrieve the data that has disappeared from the screen. However, it always causes a great deal of anxiety and frustration on my part, slowing me down and creating delays. Several times, I have had to call a computer technician for help, giving him the permission to access the computer online so that he could find the source of the problem.
     After one long two-hour session on the phone, the laptop was finally back in working order. The nature of the problem wasn’t exactly clear; however the technician pointed out that I had been neglecting the reminders that occasionally popped up on the screen to update certain programs.
On that particular session thirteen updates were needed! A good lesson to slow down and take time to update!
     Just when I thought the problem was solved, it “crash dumped” again! Not only was the screen blank, the folder containing over 500 Recorder articles and interviews from the past several years was empty. Gone forever? I gave up, shut down the computer for the night and went to bed. The next day I restarted it, holding my breath. Thankfully, it started again with a welcome hum. I was relieved to discover that all of the articles were back in their folder. Praise the Lord!
     Things were starting to get back on track and life was picking up speed when another obstacle came along to slow me down. As I was carrying a basket of dirty clothes downstairs to the laundry room, I missed the last step and landed at the bottom of the stairs with my left foot twisted underneath my body. It was very painful at first; but after a few minutes of lying on my back stunned, I was relieved to be able to wiggle my toes!
     Al was in the kitchen and came down to see what had happened. After scooting up the stairs on my rear end and using an old walker to get out to the car, we drove to Urgent Care. X rays and careful examination showed that while the ankle was sprained, there were no broken bones. Another praise to the Lord! The best remedy was to ice and elevate.
     Everything came to a screeching halt for a few days while I rested on the couch with my foot elevated. I became very dependent upon my husband! The knee walker that he used after several foot and ankle surgeries came in handy. I managed to leave lots of marks on walls and doors while trying to maneuver it around the house though.
     Our long awaited trip to California was less than a week away and there was a full list of things to do. This was an unwanted delay for sure, but it provided much needed quiet time and “knee” time too! Obstacles in our paths do slow us down. However, they also give us time to think, re-evaluate things, pray and regain our focus.

     Dear Lord, please help us to stay focused on You in the midst of problems and to remember that when compared to being with You for eternity, they are “light and momentary!” In Jesus’ name, Amen.
*1Corinthians 4: 16-18 NIV








Comments

Popular Posts