Ups and Downs



“We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.” *  

 On New Year’s Day, Al and I joined a large group of people on an organized walk around the cemetery adjacent to our house. Actually, it was 9:00 am on a bright, clear morning that we walkers gathered together, first at the nearby mall. The temperature was probably close to freezing and a gusty wind was blowing making it feel even colder. No shorts and t shirts that day!

After turning in donations of canned food that would be given to a local food bank and receiving instructions, like watching out for black ice, everyone began walking in the direction of the cemetery. The distance to be walked was between 2 and 5 K, making it doable for a wide variety of folks including those with physical limitations. In our case, the bone chilling cold finally convinced us to shorten the walk. In fact, most people were finished within the hour!

 Unfortunately, Al picked up a bad cough after that event. It seemed to worsen after a few days, lodging in his chest. On the spur of the moment, he decided to go to an urgent care facility.

The PA who saw him confirmed that it was bronchitis. She was thorough, also having an x ray of his chest taken there at the office to check for pneumonia. While looking at the x ray, she found a shadowy spot on the aortic artery leading out from the heart down to the abdomen.

“By the way, do you know that you have an aortic aneurysm?” she asked Al. He was shocked by her question. The PA told him that it was quite large and wanted him to go straight to the emergency room!

Instead, he convinced her to set up an appointment with a vascular surgeon and arrangements were made for the following morning. Then he headed home with prescriptions, the disc of his x ray and quite a story to tell. We were both anxious, not knowing what to expect.

When we walked into the waiting room for Al’s appointment, there were hardly any seats available. Many people had walkers, were laboring to breathe and obviously in pain. Were they all having issues related to aneurysms, we wondered? It was especially alarming when three medics rolled a man in on a gurney. They all stayed in the crowded waiting room until the doctor was free to see him.

After an examination, the vascular surgeon told Al that he’d like to have more definitive testing done. The x ray wasn’t clear enough to tell if it was an aneurysm. He didn’t seem worried, but rather wanted to give Al enough time to get the testing done and wanted to see him again in about two weeks. In the meantime, life could go on as usual, just avoiding strenuous exercise. Moderate exercising at the gym would be okay once the bronchitis was gone.

His calm demeanor relaxed us and we left the office feeling relieved. Honestly, I had expected to go home after the visit, pack up a few things and then drive straight to the hospital. Praise the Lord for the reprieve, even though we didn’t know what was ahead.

Our fluctuating emotions reminded me of an experience I had as a preteen, learning how to body surf at the beach. I confidently assured my dad that I knew how to do it already when he began giving me some pointers. However, the first wave that I tried to ride to shore spun me around, pulled me down to the ocean floor and spewed me out on the sand. What power! I was quickly humbled.

Al’s aneurysm scare felt somewhat like that. I’m sure that we’ve all had times of feeling pushed around emotionally by the circumstances in our lives. However, in spite of being tossed about, we have an anchor—the hope of eternal life that Christ has given to us through his great sacrifice on the cross. There is nothing that can separate us from His wonderful love. Great news, eh?

 “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:38-39 NIV)
*Hebrews 6:19a NIV

PS. When we went back to the Vascular Dr., his first comment to Al was, "Well, I guess I don't have to operate on you." There was no aneurysm! Praise the Lord!










Comments

  1. Mike and I were so relieved when we heard this news! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO VERY HAPPY TODAY!!! That is why am giving this big thanks to Dr Akuza for curing me from HERPES. I have been suffering from HERPES for the past eight (8) years and i tried everything possible to get myself cured but i couldn't get any solution! until i decided to try herbal cure. That was how i got in contact with this great herbal doctor in an online research, i contacted him and demand for the cure and he send me the cure through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and after two week of taking the herbal medicine of Dr Akuza i went to the hospital for check and to God be the glory i tested HERPES negative, (I am so glad to see myself HERPES negative once again). I'm very proud to express my happiness through this platform and to say a big thanks to Dr Akuza for restoring my life back to normal. You can as well contact Dr Akuza via email: (drakuzaodiagbe01@gmail. com) and or you can call and whatsapp him on +2347050899958 if you are infected with HERPES virus or having any health problems you can contact Dr Akuza and he will help you.

    Doctor Akuza CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:

    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER of all kind
    4. HSV 1&2
    5. Herpatitis B
    6.Diabetes
    7.HPV
    8.COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
    9.Asthma
    10.Acute angle-closure Glaucoma

    Connect with Dr Akuza on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/drakuzaofficial

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone , I was totally broken when the love of my life left me it was so hard for me and I almost gave up if not for a friend who directed me to a very good and powerful man called Dr jeffrey who helped me bring back the love of my life and now he treat me with so much love and care. I don’t know what kind of problem you are passing through but with what he did for me I know he can help you. So try and talk to him on WhatsApp on: +2348162061202 Or email at: dctrjeffrey@gmail.com. He has a permanent solution to any type of problems such as: Lottery Spell, Love Spell, Power Spell, Psychic reading, Success Spell, Cure of any sickness, Pregnancy Spell, Marriage Spell,Job Spell, Protection Spell,Win court Case Spell, Luck Spell and many more

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts