Guess Who’s Watching?

 


                                 

“For a man’s ways are before the eyes of the Lord and he ponders all his paths.”

“The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.” *

          Walking the dogs every night has afforded some great opportunities to meet neighbors. For instance, there was the time when Teddy, TJ and I were strolling through the neighborhood and a person walking in the opposite direction stopped us. He asked, “Hey, is that Teddy and TJ?”

How did he know their names? I wondered. Then he explained that he had seen a picture of them posted on our neighborhood website and recognized them when we walked by. That solved the mystery.

Al had posted a “help” notice on the website one afternoon after both dogs had gotten out of the gate and had run away. Their pictures and names along with our contact information went out to several hundred people. I had already forgotten about the incident, so it was interesting that he still remembered reading the post.

 I explained how they were found quickly and how relieved we were. It was a great answer to prayer! Then, he went on his way and we continued on ours. A stranger—and yet he was familiar with something personal to us.

On yet another walk, I happened to greet a person on the sidewalk and was surprised when he asked, “Are you the lady who was trying to unwrap her dog from the pole at the corner of Bates and Kinross yesterday?”

 Yes, I was the lady! TJ, our black lab was leading the way for Teddy and me, when he managed to wrap himself around the pole of a street sign, not once but twice. It was quite a feat with a large golden retriever on the other half of the double leash, and me hanging on to the looped end!  Untangling him wasn’t easy!

I was unaware that anyone had been watching and felt embarrassed. It so happened that the young man lived a few houses away from the corner and was out in the front yard. Quite entertaining—for him anyway!

Another time, a friendly lady talked with us as she worked out in her yard. When I told her where we lived, pointing in the direction of our house she asked, “Is your husband the man who prunes the trees along the cemetery fence?”  It was surprising since she lived a couple of blocks away from our house, which happens to be next to the cemetery.

Well, it turned out that neighbors had been watching Al’s handiwork. It all began by clearing away the shrubs blocking our view as we backed the car down the driveway and onto the street. That project expanded to pruning back the overgrown mass of trees and shrubs along the cemetery fence—at least until someone came out of one of the houses across the street and told Al to stop, that he didn’t want to see into the cemetery!

All of these conversations have convinced me that people watch our actions, more than we know. A member of our former church in Springville, California, said that she had followed me around Walmart one day to see if I was really as nice to people as I seemed to be on Sunday mornings! Yikes!

Remember the story of how Jesus and Nathaniel met in John 1: 44-48? When Nathaniel’s friend, Philip, told Nathaniel that he had seen the Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth, Nathaniel exclaimed, “Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” He went along with Philip anyway to see this “Messiah” for himself.

 However, when he approached Jesus, he was astonished by Jesus’ claim… “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.” How could that be? Maybe Nathaniel wished he could take back his comment about Jesus’ home town!

Our God sees us whether it is night or day, regardless of where we happen to be. He is all knowing and always present. There is nothing hidden from his sight…a truth difficult for us to comprehend. God’s omnipresence should greatly impact the way we live our lives. Does it?

 

“I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.” (Bill Gaither, “His Eye is on the Sparrow”)

* Proverbs 5: 21; 15:3 NIV

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts