When Joy and Sorrow Meet


“Sing to the Lord, you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only for a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes with the morning.” *

 

A special Christmas tradition that my step-daughter, Shanda Lowery-Sachs, and I look forward to each year is attending the Women’s Advent Tea together. The tea is organized and hosted by women from our church with a speaker for each of the four weeks in Advent—hope, joy peace and love— and special Christmas music, in addition to the hot tea and dessert served at beautifully decorated tables.

 Attending the tea sets the stage for Christmas, with its focus on Jesus and the difference that knowing Him has made in our lives. With such unusual circumstances this year, plans have changed. Rather than meeting together at church, ladies will be hosting the tea in their own homes, inviting family members or friends to come and watch a taped program together.

                Early in November I received a call from one of the ladies on the planning committee, asking if I would be willing to participate as a speaker. Since the topics of “peace” and “love” had already been taken, I decided to choose “joy,” wondering how that would work out since we were in the middle of a construction project at our house with much banging and noise in the basement!

My talk was finished on the day that we were to do the taping, thanks to the Lord for helping me stay calm and have time to prepare. As I walked up the aisle of the sanctuary to the podium and looked out over the deserted pews, I could see Al sitting in the last row. He had wanted to come along for support, much appreciated for sure! 

I had been instructed to look up to the balcony where the video camera was located. As my eyes were directed upward, I noticed a round, stained glass window above the last pew in the balcony. The sun streamed in through the glass, making the colored pieces sparkle like jewels. It was a beautiful sight, one that was missed when looking forward toward the altar.

Any feeling of stage fright or anxiety seemed to melt away and joy filled my heart—the joy of knowing that I was loved and that Jesus was present. It’s good to give a talk on joy when filled with joy! There is no use trying to fake it!

When the taping was finished, the person doing the recording thanked me. That was it… no need to do it again, thankfully. A few days later Al took a picture of Shanda and me lighting a candle to use for a video clip at the end of the program, when traditionally candles are lit and the women sing “Silent Night,” before departing.

It felt good keeping our Christmas tradition anyway, in spite of the fact that we were at home rather than at church, without any tea and a couple weeks before the beginning of the advent season.

While I was writing this article for the “Good News!” column, a friend called and asked if I would pray for her mother, Ruth, who was slipping away. We set a time; and a few hours later with the family gathered around Ruth’s bedside and speaker phone on, I prayed. Afterwards, Ruth’s husband and her two grown daughters joined me in praying the Lord’s prayer, believing that Ruth would somehow be able to hear and would feel God’s presence. It was a touching experience for me, one in which I could feel their sorrow, yet at the same time sense the Lord’s presence and peace.

We have all experienced many disappointments, sorrow, grief over the loss of loved ones, pain and suffering. Yet the joy that comes from having a personal relationship with the living God through Jesus Christ sustains us and brings hope.

* Psalm 30:5 NIV

“O come, thou Dayspring, come and cheer

Our spirits by thine advent here

Disperse the gloomy clouds of night

And death’s dark shadows put to flight

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel

Shall come to thee O Israel”

(“O Come, O Come Emmanuel” vs. 4)




Comments

Popular Posts