“A Mineral King Surprise !”

 

                                        

My husband Al shared this story recently with the Writer’s group at our senior center…                                                                         

                                                “A Mineral King Surprise !” by Al Lowery

It was around 1990 when I was asked if I would lead a backpack for our pastor and his son, up in the nearby Sierra Nevada mountains of California. I immediately thought of a ruggedly beautiful area called Mineral King, which had been recently added to Sequoia National Park.

Walt Disney had tried for years to build a huge ski resort in this area, with a pristine V shaped valley surrounded by challenging ridge lines and towering peaks. Judy and I had done several hikes there, and I knew a circular route that could be done in 3 days, all by trail.

Both Pastor Mark and his 12-year-old son Geoffrey assured me they would have proper packs, sleeping gear and most importantly, good hiking boots. I had hiked this route two previous times and knew it was doable. Although physically challenging, it was not too difficult and would be very memorable. Little did I realize HOW memorable!

Our first day was strenuous, so I set a gradual pace. We reached our campsite by 4 PM and had a grand view of the surrounding mountains. Early the next morning we loaded up our gear and set out for the most spectacular section, going over Glacier Pass at 12,000 ft. in elevation.

 As it came into view, I was shocked by an almost unrecognizable sight…the pass as well as its approach was entirely covered with snow! The snow from the previous winter had not melted, and the warm summer sun had caused a thick icy crust to form over its surface.

The trail I had used before was now covered, requiring that we ascend cross country style! There was an imposing cornice at the top, making this ascent more intimidating! I estimate that the grade up was between 60 and 70 %, and the icy snowfield stretched at least 100 yards.

While I had ascended steep slippery slopes like this before, I had used an ice axe and crampons which I had not brought. Now all I had to use were my hiking boots to kick in small steps. What makes such ascents so dangerous is a slip causing you to slide, especially on your back, which would result in a human toboggan ride into the boulders at the base.

For a while, I was overcome with fear, wondering if I could do this, much less lead the others. Turning aside, I huddled with Judy… I did not want my fear and doubts to be seen by Mark and Geoffrey! Immediately two memorized passages from Psalms came to mind. I would hold on to them and recite them until I reached the summit.

Psalm 23 says “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for though art with me; and thy rod and thy staff they comfort me .” Then from Psalm 121, “I lift my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber…The Lord watches over you…The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.”

            The rest waited below as I steadily kicked steps through the icy crust and recited those passages over and over and over again. What a sense of peace and calm overcame me!

            Descending carefully, I reached the group and showed them how to firmly hold their metal “Sierra cups” in their hands as they carefully followed my steps. They practiced how to fall forward and catch the cup in the snow to stop themselves from sliding. 

Gradually everyone ascended to the summit, with Judy at the end. What a relief and overwhelming joy to reach the summit! I was so thankful for those scripture passages, giving hope and peace from the Lord. They still are a great comfort to me today as I face new challenges.

Postscript from Judy: Knowing how fearful Al was of sliding on the ice, it was amazing to watch him that day. What courage! And God had prepared him with advance training, knowing how to kick steps through the ice and use a little metal cup as a brake! Thanks for inspiring us, Al!

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts