Relaxing in the Shepherd’s Care

 


Sitting at the computer, leaning back in the chair with eyes closed, I take a quick break from typing. Arms limp, tension in shoulders draining away. Ahhh, it feels good to relax!

If there is a picture of pure relaxation, it has to be one of our dog TJ snoozing on his doggie bed. He has perfected that art! TJ’s tail, legs and even his ears go lifeless, his chest hardly moving. Is he still alive? I stick around, watching until either a breath is detected or there is some movement.

Every so often he must have an exciting doggie dream, because a low, raspy bark can be heard accompanied by twitching back legs and tail! However, most of the day and night, he can be found relaxing on his bed, deep in sleep land.

Recently I came upon an interesting and relevant description of “Progressive Relaxation,” in a book by Clair Davies, NCTMB. His method of relaxation is to picture one part of the body at a time while lying on the back, concentrating on letting go of all tension until that part is relaxed, then moving on to the next.

The progression of relaxing begins first with the hands and arms. Next, comes the feet, legs and hips, up the torso to the back, shoulders, neck, scalp, face, jaws and ends with the eyes. We can relax our eyes? That was a new idea! I tried to consciously relax later that night and fell asleep before I reached my eyes!

Early in my teaching career, I coached several freshman/sophomore girls’ volleyball teams. A similar technique was used to help the girls relax before each volleyball game.

 As they stretched out on the gym floor, I’d tell them: “Pretend that you are a cube of butter. Now imagine that butter melting and all of your tension draining away.”  The next step was to instruct them to visualize performing the various components of the game correctly and successfully—serving, spiking, setting, blocking, passing and other skills.

Whether or not this procedure helped us to win more games is debatable. But it did teach me to become more aware of tension in different muscles in my body and how to relax them. Through the years though that technique was forgotten,  left behind in the “busyness” of life.

Tension seemed to build up in my shoulders and neck during the day, eventually causing knots in those muscles and periodic stiff necks. My shoulders would be so tight that it seemed like they were touching my ears, and my toes would clench up while standing. Even my jaws were often rigid, especially before falling asleep.

Since being reminded about progressive relaxation, sleep has come easier. As my body relaxes, my mind also has been able to switch to the “off” position more easily. It just shows how the body affects the mind. 

Conversely, the mind affects the body. Sleep is hard to come by when we are anxious or fearful about something. Jesus knew that worry and other negative emotions and thoughts would not only harm our bodies but also our relationship with God. He taught his disciples to have faith, that worrying about tomorrow would not help matters but only make things worse.

When we reflect upon Jesus as our good Shepherd, the Shepherd of our souls, anxieties seem to fade away. What is found in the Shepherd’s care? Provision for our needs: food, water, shelter, peace of mind, guidance, protection, comfort, goodness and mercy.

He promises to be with us as we continue on our journey, until we reach our final destination at home in heaven forever.  No worries! God is good!

“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me besides quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” Psalm 23: 1-6 NIV

(The Trigger therapy workbook, 2nd edition, by Clair Davies NCTMB p.292-295)

Comments

Popular Posts