Prayer for a stranger a day!

     An article in the Country Woman magazine had a great suggestion: to ask God to show you one person every day... a stranger... for whom to pray. I decided to start doing this too, after reading the article. But when I had to stay home due to a head cold and sore throat, I figured there wouldn't be any opportunities to pray for strangers for awhile.
    The Lord has surprised me, however.  Yesterday, it was the person from the doctor's office who called me with information about an upcoming appointment I had made. The day before it was the UPS driver.
     Today when the doorbell rang, I had no idea that  it would be my "Friday" stranger. A woman was standing at the door looking slightly frazzled. She explained that she had accidentally driven her car into a ditch near our neighbor's house. No one was around who could help her.
     "Could someone help give me a push?" she wanted to know. Al and I both went outside and walked with her to where the car was precariously perched on a boulder, with one front wheel straddling the ditch and the other on the neighbor's driveway.       
     "You know," said Al wisely, "this is too big of a job for the three of us. Why don't you call AAA?"
      By the time the tow truck was on the way to the rescue, I had silently prayed for her, no longer a stranger, but now a new friend. We watched as the driver jacked her car up, lifted it off the boulder and gave her the needed push to get her on the road again.
       Hmmm...so who is He going to bring tomorrow?
"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV 

Comments

  1. Dear Judy,

    Somehow your blogpost found it's way to me this morning. I just might have been that woman in the magazine and it referencing the new book Praying for Strangers: An Adventure of the Human Spirit. You just don't know how much this means to me to see this happening. The concept of that resolution being picked up, embraced and put into action. God bless and keep you, your words and your prayers! River Jordan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts