Looking Back and Looking Ahead!

  I was asked to share my spiritual journey with a group of ladies at their meeting in October. It happened to be a few days before my birthday, and there were some wonderful "birthday" surprises in store for me.  
   The first one happened in the form of an answered prayer when I spotted my friend, Nancy, sitting at one of the tables in the front of the room. Nancy was the last person I expected to see. She had suffered a stroke in January 2012 which left her unable to speak, paralyzed on the right side, and in the hospital. It took months before she was able to go to a rehab facility and then finally released to go home. She was sitting up in a wheelchair and looked like a million dollars.
    "Nancy," I cried as I ran over to give her a hug before the program began. "What a miracle! I sure didn't expect to see you here!"
     "When I heard you were going to be the main speaker, I just had to come," she said, hugging me back with new strength in her arms.
     Well, the tears began to flow...and they continued to flow as I shared my testimony. My notes lay untouched on the podium as I told about my family, how the Lord Jesus came into my life when I was nineteen, about the ensuing years of college and then teaching, meeting Al and getting married at the age of 35, and of our adventures together (at least some of them!) to the present time. Disappointments as well as wonderful answers to prayer were shared with the compassionate group of women.
     I had brought some pictures to pass around: a newspaper article from the 40's featuring my football star father, a black and white photo of my mom and dad in their retirement years, one of Al and me at Trail Crest on Mt. Whitney, and of course a nice family picture of my step-daughter, her husband and their four children...my long awaited grandchildren! Oh, and a few props--a kitchen funnel to show what God wants me to be, funneling His unconditional love to others; and a handicap parking sticker, which is where our lives seem to be at present with Al recovering from ankle fusion surgery.
    Another surprise...I ended in 30 minutes exactly, without looking at my watch and without knowing that the program stated I would be speaking for thirty minutes! Whew!
    Afterwards, Ann Marie Bezayiff and I met at Starbucks where she treated me to a cup of hot tea. She was holding me up in prayer as I spoke that morning along with several other friends. Praise the Lord! :)
    It was a great day...especially remembering what God has done in my life in the past, seeing what He is doing in the present and receiving great answers to prayer. Now I am looking forward to walking hand in hand with Jesus in the year(s) to come!  
  "Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise!" Jeremiah 17:14 NIV         

Comments

Popular Posts