Dealing with the Unexpected, part II



                                     
   Last Tuesday, Al accidentally dislocated the artificial joint in his left hip while at the gym. That same joint had popped out two previous times. It was always an excruciatingly painful experience for him to endure. I was home when it happened, writing the article for the weekly "Good News!" column in the Porterville Recorder.
   Since our car was parked at the gym in Porterville, a kind neighbor dropped what he was doing in order to drive me down to town.  I could hardly think straight, trying to pack a few things just in case we had to spend the night in the hospital. Since the deadline for the article was on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. I took the laptop too. Funny thing, the title was “Dealing with the Unexpected!” Al and I were both about to be tested!
   He was lying on a hospital bed in a small cubicle in ER when I arrived, but wasn’t alone. A friend from our church had learned about the accident and was by his side helping to keep Al’s mind off of the pain by talking about the good food he had eaten while down in Los Angeles!  Our orthopedic surgeon was able to see him early that evening and reset the joint while Al was under anesthesia, after praying with us.
   When he woke up, the pain had gone; however, the doctor wanted him to spend the night in the hospital for observation. He had a dinner of Jell-O, broth and diet pop late that evening while I hurried to a nearby fast food restaurant for a take-out order of Chinese food.
   Another couple from church had heard the news and was in the room visiting with him when I got back. Such special people! After the stress of the day, I was so tired that I managed to sleep on the little pullout chair in the hospital room through most of the night. Al also slept well except for those times when the nurse came in to check his vital signs.
    On Wednesday, a physical therapist showed him how to put on a heavy brace that would keep his legs from crossing, preventing another dislocation. I began to get concerned when it seemed as though he wouldn’t be discharged until later that afternoon, the unfinished article weighing on my mind.
   As it turned out, my laptop began acting up and I couldn’t get connected to the internet. Al advised me to take it over to the office of our computer server. Once there, it didn’t take long before the problem was discovered and corrected. Praise the Lord!
   The two young ladies working at the front desk were kind enough to let me stay and finish the article right there in the office. I knew that if anything failed on the computer, help would be close at hand! Thankfully there were no further delays and it was submitted on time. Problems never seem to come just one at a time do they?
    Al was discharged around 7:30 that evening. We were glad to be home once again and were thankful for all of the wonderful people came through in our time of need, as well for as our loving Father in heaven who carries us through all of the crises of life!  Praise the Lord!
    There is still more to this story. “Dealing with the Unexpected, part III” will be next week. Oh my!
   For all of you dads who are reading this, know that you are appreciated…and have a very happy Father’s Day!
   “He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” Ps. 112: 7 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts