The Leader of the Pack


   Our dogs, Teddy and TJ, have been with us for over four years after their adoption from a pet foster home in Bakersfield. Because Al hasn’t been able to help much with their training during those years, most of it has been up to me. Becoming the lead dog of the pack has been very difficult, since they were already bonded together when we adopted them!
    Until recently, they have been attentive to each other, happily running around the yard, all the while ignoring the sound of my calls, with Teddy taking the lead and TJ following. My place has usually been somewhere in the distance, chasing behind them.
    A daily routine has been established of putting on their leashes at the front gate, walking down the road to get the mail and the daily newspaper, and then removing their leashes once back inside the gate so that they can run around. This routine has been repeated over and over with the same verbal commands and lots of praise (treats too) whenever they have responded correctly.
    Some days they do just fine, and other days they get distracted before reaching the front gate! But thankfully things finally seem to be changing. Lately both dogs have seemed more attentive to my commands, walking with me more often and wanting attention.  Prior to this time, Teddy wanted to do his own thing and TJ followed Teddy’s commands! 
   A few days ago, it was so hot that I decided to break the routine and went out to get the mail alone, not wanting them to burn their feet on the asphalt. To my surprise, TJ stood by the front gate waiting for me. True, he was looking over his shoulder for Teddy’s whereabouts. But the little lab was definitely waiting for me, wondering why he didn’t get to go out too. Finally bonding?
    How about Teddy? For a Golden Retriever who loves chasing birds, lizards, butterflies and any other moving creature, he has finally started walking with me voluntarily, following me around the pond and back to the dog run without my having to drag him out of the bushes. Is he finally recognizing me as the leader of the pack?
    One or both of the dogs will probably have times when they slip up. Sure it’s a pain to have to go back and repeat the same steps over and over again. But they really are starting to get it. I’m not going to give up my position as lead dog now. I love them too much to give up on them and let them run wild! And it’s pure joy when they seem to want to obey and please me.
   Does God feel the same way about us, loving us so much that He won’t give up on us, even when we want to be in control of our own lives, ignore His commands and choose to pursue other things instead of a close relationship with Him? Does His heart burst with joy when we really start to get it and begin showing signs of changing, when we desire walking with Him and knowing Him more than anything else?
   God loves us much more than we will ever comprehend, until we see Him face to face. Anyone need a leash?
“…I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.” Jeremiah 31:3 NIV
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.” John 15:9 NIV


Comments

Popular Posts