Living Life to the Fullest

   Many of you have asked how our daughter, Shanda, is doing after surgery to remove a tumor in the left side of her brain. Because she had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer in 2015, Shanda felt that recent bouts of headaches should be checked out and scheduled an MRI with her oncologist.
   Using Shanda’s own words, “When I first received the results of the MRI, that there was a brain tumor causing my headaches, I was devastated and inconsolable.  I thought the worst imaginable that the cancer had spread everywhere and I had no idea how much longer I would live. That was definitely the worst and lowest I have ever felt in my life. I was very angry because I had done everything I was supposed to when first diagnosed in 2015.
  “After a few days of this inactive sadness, I was able to start gathering information and to meet with the first of many doctors. I felt much better when I could start to make a plan and understand the information. Of course learning that the CT scans of the rest of my body were clear was a huge relief. Each doctor I spoke to and the more information I learned made me feel certain that God was working through every one of them to help and comfort me.
   “I felt this somewhat with my 2015 diagnosis, but much stronger in 2016. I think this was because I had to make decisions and gather information quicker this time. It felt much more urgent to make a plan because this was a large tumor causing problems. But I was uncertain at first which paths to choose, which surgeon, what dates and scheduling.
   “It was also stressful since I had been planning to go back to work right when all of this happened and was dealing with getting off of disability insurance. Everything was happening all at once!” Some doors closed unexpectedly, while others opened, helping Shanda realize the best path to take and giving her confidence during the decision making process.
   Also during that time, several people shared the verses from the 23rd Psalm with Shanda, including the pastor who prayed with her before surgery and her son Nate (7) who was memorizing it for his Sunday school class. As she read through the psalm, it gave her comfort and helped her face difficult challenges. “I know that it came from God especially for me.”
    To others who might be going through similar experiences, she writes: “Try to find the positive in whatever you are going through. People always tell me, ‘You are so positive and I had no idea you were going through all of this!’
   “I respond that I don’t know another way to deal with it. I have to just keep going, fight through this and live life to the fullest. I have too many good things in my life to just sit around and be sad or angry. You never know what is going to happen to you each day, so don’t waste any time in doing the things that don’t make you happy.
   “Also, remember that you really have no idea what other people are going through. Try to show compassion instead of being quick to judge. I cannot say enough times how much all of the thought, prayers and gestures from so many people have helped me. Every person has the power to positively affect another person. Never underestimate that power!”
   Well said, Shanda! And thank you for inspiring so many people, including us!
   
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29: 11 NIV


Comments

Popular Posts