What About the Dogs?

   When Al and I finally made the decision to move from Springville to California, we were concerned about what would happen to our two dogs, Teddy and TJ. They had been adopted from the same pet foster home in Bakersfield about five years ago and were happy outdoor dogs, with two acres of land to explore and a pond perfect for swimming.
   Their happiness and welfare had to been considered too. Because the new house had a small fenced-in back yard, Al and I planned on walking them with their leashes around the neighborhood for exercise. Teddy was good at walking ‘on leash’; but TJ was a notorious puller! Also, they would have to get used to living in the house with us due to the cold Michigan winters. We wondered how our two big, athletic dogs would do in a small house.  
    As it turned out, our home had a small sunroom separated from the dining room by a paned glass door, with access to the back yard through another outside door. It was carpeted, sunny and seemed perfect for them to sleep in at night.
   The four of us were just getting used to living in our new environment in the city suburbs when I accidently tripped over TJ, landed on the concrete driveway and ended up with a broken hip. I didn’t see the dogs for several days after that. They had to be put into a nearby kennel, while Al cared for me, first in the hospital and then at home.
   We had quite a tearful reunion (guess who cried?) the day he brought them home from the kennel. “Go see your ma,” he commanded…and they obligingly ran straight into the front room, came up to the couch where I was lying and proceeded to give me doggie kisses all over my face.
   TJ had his head down, but looked up with very sorrowful eyes. “Oh TJ,” I cried, “It wasn’t your fault. I just fell down and broke my leg and had to go to the doctor.”
   I felt so bad that it had happened…things just weren’t supposed to work out that way. However, Al assured me that he’d take over my responsibilities feeding them and letting them outside. But how about exercising them? He was having difficulty walking and I would be using a walker or cane for several weeks. Neither of us would be able to take them on long walks.
   I shared my worries with my youngest brother over the phone one evening, wondering what we were going to do. He suggested that I might need a nanny!  Although I had to laugh at the thought, we had a family friend, Sharon, living nearby who had taken care of two of our grandchildren for years and who had also helped Al’s mom when she was living in a retirement home.
   When I called Sharon and asked her if she could help us out, she agreed, adding the comment: “Well, it takes a village you know!” Yes, I knew that, but never had heard it applied to seniors before!
   Sharon, my new nanny, also arranged for a young lady to come and walk the dogs on a regular basis. Even though this helped take off some of the burden of worry, I still wondered if we could care for them adequately. I talked that over too with the same brother, who reassured me that the God had brought us this far and that He wouldn’t forget about the dogs.
   Well, my faith has certainly been stretched during this time. Letting go of Teddy and TJ and trusting that God is in complete control has been a struggle. However, I know that He is faithful and that His plans for us are good.   
   Forgive me, Father for doubting and for struggling with you. I know that your plan is best. Please come and sit on the throne of my heart again. I love you.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.


“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6: 34 NIV 
               
(TJ, black lab, and Teddy, golden retriever, just after we adopted them in 2012. Bigger now!)

Comments

Popular Posts