Ann Marie’s Journey

   While Al and I were relocating to Michigan, our dear friend, Ann Marie Bezayiff, wrote that she would be praying for us on our faith journey. But then Ann Marie’s world was suddenly turned upside down.  In February, she was admitted to a Houston hospital to undergo chemo treatments for acute myeloid
leukemia, a diagnosis which shocked us all.
    Some of her journal entries posted since that time give us a peek into her ‘upside down’ world.   
    “I’m attached to a pole that carries all of my medications...I’ve decided to call my new constant companion RALF, after the Robot-box in one of my favorite kid’s movies. RALF is taller than I am and I’ve managed to crash into the TV monitor’s support bracket more than once. The last time, maintenance had to be called in to fix it and I tried to sneak out of the room. I’m such a coward. Enjoy your day. Turn your world upside down. Do something out of the ordinary. Laugh lots.” Ann Marie a coward? No way!
   When she was about halfway through the treatments, she wrote that it was ‘chemo crash’ week and that her immune system was destroyed, necessitating her staying on the oncology floor. “Yes, I’m going to lose my hair with all its colored highlights…with that style cut that I’ve been searching for forever. But I feel good, walk my two or three laps around the floor and manage to keep my mind occupied and busy. Lots of scripture reading and reflection (only the good stuff).”
   Her post on February 28 mentioned how David, her husband, turned the hospital room wall into a display of his artwork.The prints are full of color swirls, the memories of our travels and remind me of the richness of our lives in this winter I'm experiencing… The staff, nurses, doctors, all have enjoyed the display as much as I have. Art touches all, because we are art, works of art. God's creation, adding new hues and shades of color as we live out our lives. Not sure if I'm on the same page with God when shaping and creating includes leukemia. He has made everything beautiful in its time.” (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
   Early in March, Ann Marie was able to go home where she was greeted by David and her family. She faced another round of chemo with four more weeks in the hospital, but enjoyed the brief interlude at home and also was happy to be disconnected from her ‘companion’ RALF.
   About round two, she wrote, “The chemo will be stronger and the effects more drastic, but it’s worth the good fight… Thank you, God, for those who have made medicine their life’s work. Amazing, dedicated people. For those of you who have offered your bone marrow, the place to begin is bethematch.org.”
   The lack of donors with Ann Marie’s specific type of blood, O negative, has been an obstacle to her treatment. On March 26, she wrote requesting prayer for a donor to match her unique situation. Two days later a match was found. “I praise God for his generosity and his work through his people. This treatment will continue for several weeks. Everything is possible with God. Thank you for your prayers.”
   Faith, humor and courage are all reflected in her beautiful writing. “Sometimes in the evening, as I stare out the window into the twinkling quad of rooms below, I think what life was like only two months ago… How precious the memories, thoughts, conversations and people I carry with me on this journey. Warming, refreshing, a good bed-time tonic.”
   Dear Father, thank you for being with and strengthening Ann Marie during this time of illness. Please bring the right donors, guide the doctors and touch her with your healing hand. Help us all in our individual journeys through life to grow in faith and in the knowledge of your love for us. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

“When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.” Psalm 138: 3 NIV
  

Comments

Popular Posts