Overflowing Joy!

Nate (8) receiving his Bible in front of church, with the 3rd grade Sunday School class
   When we tell people here in Michigan that we’ve just moved from California, the first question they usually ask is “Why would you want to do that?” As I explained to one man, Tom, who attends the same contemporary service on Sunday mornings, it was because we wanted to be closer to our daughter Shanda and her family.
   A few weeks later while Al and I were waiting to meet Shanda before the church service, our friend Tom happened to be standing close by when her two little boys saw us and came running to give us hugs.   
   “Ah,” said Tom, “There’s your reason for moving to Michigan!”
  “That’s right!” I exclaimed, grinning with my arms full of grandsons!
   Since arriving last February, there have been many wonderful opportunities for establishing strong bonds with the family, for spending special moments together and creating treasured memories for the future. Being able to watch our grandchildren grow up brings great joy.
    One of the highlights since arriving was worshipping as a family on Easter Sunday. We filled up an entire pew in the spacious sanctuary, listened to the sermon, sang together and prayed, united in our faith.
   At the end of the service, people in the congregation were invited to come to the front of the church and join the choir in singing the “Alleluia” chorus of the Messiah. Our son-in-law, Chris, and granddaughter also participated in that. It was a very powerful moment.
   Later, the joy continued as many family members came to Chris and Shanda’s house for a traditional Easter dinner which was finished off by gathering around the table to sing hymns. I was grateful to be part of that celebration from the beginning of the day to the end.
   When Al and I were married in 1982, I not only became a new bride but also step-mother to his young daughter. As time passed by, it became clear that Al and I would not be able to have children of our own. Even though God had provided a wonderful husband and step-daughter, there was still a constant, ever-present longing in my heart. It was very difficult to accept “no” as the answer to that deep yearning and fervent prayer. Perhaps there was still a way. Lots of advances were being made in medicine at that time…
   “How long do I have to wait?” I wondered. “And is it wrong to continue asking? If God has closed the door, should I try to knock it down?”  
   There were many times that I had to confess to Him my doubt and struggles, asking for help so that I could focus on Jesus rather than the pain I was feeling. Finally, I gave up and surrendered my life to Him, believing that He knew what was best and was in control. More than anything, I wanted to be grateful for all that He had done for me, to find fulfillment and contentment in my relationship with Him. 
   To my great surprise, He really didn’t say ‘no’ after all. Things just didn’t happen the way I expected them to. How could I have failed to see that God was answering my prayers through Shanda who has been a loving and faithful step-daughter and now through both Chris and Shanda and their four kids?  My heart is truly overflowing with joy!
   Dear Father, when our hearts are hurting, please reassure us of your great love. Please help us to focus on You and strengthen our faith so that we might walk on in our journey, hand in hand with You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
  
   “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:14
   “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.” Psalm 118:1 NIV
Turtle Lake, near Lake Michigan. Summer fun!
Al helping Elliot (6)with his math homework and Harry looking on!


   

Comments

Popular Posts