JoAnn's Cycling Adventure in Belgium


   This week’s article has been contributed by my dear friend, JoAnn Payne, who recently traveled to Europe with her husband, Joe, and daughter, Rebecca. Thanks for sharing your story with us, JoAnn!

                                                                                A Steady Hand
   At age 71, I was preparing to fly across the Atlantic Ocean with my husband and daughter Rebecca to join a group of 21 bike riders on a bike and barge tour in Belgium.  Never having been on a bike tour before, I was a bit nervous, but Joe, an experienced rider, assured me I could do it. 
   “Easy” said the brochure describing the ride.  I wasn’t so sure; “easy” is a relative term.  Is this “easy” for Joe and Rebecca who have ridden several 500 mile rides and are confident on hills and in traffic; or is this “easy” for inexperienced, aging, fearful me?  
    I “trained” for a month prior to the ride by pedaling 3 times a week on a stationary bicycle at the gym.  On a phone conversation with our youngest daughter a week before our departure, I told her that I had ridden 10 miles in an hour.  “Good for you, Mom!” she exclaimed.  Then I announced that I had not been on a real bicycle in several years.  Silence on the other end of the line.  She probably needed to sneeze.
   I decided at that point that it might be a good idea to practice on a real bike out in the real world.  So the week before our flight, my devoted husband took me out for two 10 mile rides, and another day I took myself out on our cul-de-sac to practice getting on and off the bicycle and making sharp turns. That should do it; training completed; off to Belgium.
    Upon arriving at the hotel in Brussels where we were scheduled to meet our group, I quickly noticed that the majority of the riders were in their 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s.  Joe had assured me that in his previous experience on these rides, the majority of participants were ‘mature’ adults.  On this particular tour, however, a family of 14, spanning 3 generations, had signed up. But Grandma wasn’t riding; she would be taking the barge that was traveling down the canal with us and on which everyone would sleep and dine at night.  I, too, could opt for the barge, but that didn’t sound very inviting.
   The next day, after strict instructions were given as to how to make a left turn in traffic (traffic?!?!), and why we needed to ride single file with about 50 feet between us (how are we supposed to visit with that much space between us???), my nervousness returned in full force.  I was somewhat comforted by the announcement that every day someone would be appointed to serve as “sweeper” who would be the last rider in the line.  At least I wouldn’t fall so far behind as to totally lose the group.  Joe or Rebecca also stayed with me.  Bless them!
   I was definitely the weak link in the group, but I did manage to complete each day’s ride of 15 to 22 miles without major incident. Then on the last day, we were pedaling into Bruges when I suddenly realized that I was riding on about a foot wide strip of pavement with a streetcar track to my left and a curb to my right.
   “Don’t ever let your tire get caught in the tracks!” flashed through my mind. Feeling weak and scared, my front tire was wobbling with my efforts to stay within my boundaries. 
   But before long, I felt a strong hand take my left elbow to steady my wobbling bike, keep me going straight and calm my nerves. Theo, our guide, who normally rode at the front of the group, had come along beside me from behind on his bicycle to guide me through that portion of the street.
   Surely God prompted Theo to ride back to help me. God knew before I did that I would need help. He is indeed my “ever present help in trouble.”  Feeling Theo’s steady hand of support provided a vivid picture to me of God’s steady hand that holds me up when I am weak and ready to fall.
   “...though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand.” Psalm 37: 24 NIV 
   “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”Is. 41: 10 NIV




     
               
               
                 


Comments

Popular Posts