Let New Life Come Forth!


I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.”*
     Here it is, the middle of April with less than a week to go before Easter, and the temperature in Michigan is still swinging up and down between the 30’s and 50’s. Even though we’ve been here two years already, my internal thermometer is telling me that it’s still winter! No flimsy Easter outfit for this California lady!
     But regardless of the temperature, there is still evidence that winter is gone and that things are beginning to thaw out. It really amazes me how trees that were dormant, brown and bare a few weeks ago are now covered with buds. No leaves yet, but they are getting ready!
     Last fall, I planted about four dozen bulbs and transplanted iris and lilies with the expectation of beautiful blossoms in the spring. Those plants are getting ready too. I have been waiting in anticipation, trying to be patient. Another mystery to ponder—how can bulbs that were frozen solid all winter send up leaves, shoots and flowers as soon as the ground thaws?
     It is nice seeing folks outside once again, riding bikes, walking dogs and beginning to think about landscaping or planting summer gardens. Conversations often center around the sunshine, warmer weather and budding things. Smiles shine on faces as well. Easter is on the way. New life is coming!
     When I was thinking about what action to take or what to give up for Lent this year, I decided to focus on the same thing as I have for the past several years...giving up “me!” It seems as though this should have been a one time decision. But, in reality, selfishness and self-centeredness have continued to pull me away from the Lord, despite all of my good intentions to give Him full control of my life.
     In the past, several traumatic experiences have happened to Al and me either just before or during the period of Lent, including Al’s dislocating his artificial hip joint twice. I also had a difficult tooth extraction one spring and in February of 2017 fell and broke my ‘good’ hip. All of those experiences served to draw me closer to the Lord, realizing my need and requiring more letting go of self.
    For the past two years neither of us have had any other hip or health issues around Easter time thankfully; however I have continued to make it a priority to give up ‘me’ for Lent. Contentment without complaining in our new home and new environment has been a challenge. But even though the pull of self is strong, the power of the Resurrection, the same power that brought Jesus forth from the tomb and that now works within me through the Holy Spirit is stronger yet.
     The new life in our garden getting ready to spring forth out of the old reminds me of the powerful command Jesus uttered to Lazarus as He stood in front of His friend’s tomb. Lazarus had died four days earlier.
     “Lazarus, come out!” And out he came, still wrapped in his grave clothes. “Take off the grave clothes and let him go,” Jesus commanded.** New life for Lazarus!
     Shortly after Lazarus was resurrected, another tomb was emptied. On the morning of the third day after His crucifixion, Jesus came forth from the tomb where He had been placed, appearing first to Mary Magdalene and then later to His disciples as well as to many other people. He was, He is alive!
     That is what we have to look forward to—new life. Because of His death and resurrection, we can have forgiveness of all of our sins and the hope that we will someday be with Him forever. In the meantime, may that same resurrection power work in you and in me, changing us and bringing new life as we walk with Him day by day.

*John 12:24 NIV **John 11:43b-44 (paraphrased)
Will they come up? April 20 2019

     
One of the sites thought to be Golgotha



The Garden Tomb, summer 2010

                                     

Comments

Popular Posts