An Ever-Increasing Awareness


“If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” *
My recent visit to the ophthalmologist’s office for a regular eye exam was quite an experience, unlike previous visits. Halfway there I realized that my face mask was hanging in the laundry room after being washed in hot water. Should I turn around and go home to get it?
I decided it would be better to arrive on time for the appointment. When I walked through the front door of the building, there was a table set up in the vestibule where a staff person stopped me. After hearing my explanation about the face mask, she gave me one from a box on the table.
Her duties were to question people as they entered the office, take temperatures and regularly sanitize the waiting area, counter tops, chairs and tables.  Had I recently been out of the country? Exposed to anyone with COVID 19? Sick?
With negative answers to all of those questions and a normal temperature, I was ushered into the waiting area. It was strangely empty. She followed me in after holding the door open, pointed to a chair and then proceeded to wipe everything down with sanitizer.
 All of this was completely different from the last time Al and I were there, in the beginning of February when it was crowded. We were used to having a long wait before actually seeing the doctor. The atmosphere was definitely relaxed, with about one third of the regular number of patients being seen and no eye surgeries being performed.
When one of the receptionists had to lower her face mask in order to drink her soda through a straw, I suggested that she get one with a zipper! Zippers for easy access to the mouth and painted on smiles would be nice improvements!
After the doctor came into the exam room a little later, he greeted me, then commented that his mask was uncomfortable to wear all day long. It was hot and even though it had an air vent, the lens of the microscope still got foggy. I thanked him for wearing the mask and for his efforts as well as those of his staff to keep everyone safe.
 Instead of rushing out as soon as he was finished, the doctor stayed put in his chair, folded his arms and asked, “So what are you doing to keep busy? Have you cleaned the basement twice?”
Surprised at his willingness to talk, I proceeded to tell him about the small garden we planted with tomatoes, peppers, cabbages and lettuce, and also about our plans to put in a prayer garden. I told him how we had marked out a winding path for a gravel walkway from the driveway to the far corner of the back yard where there would be a bench surrounded by landscaping conducive to prayer and reflection.
“I’ve been so busy that I haven’t had time to clean the basement!” I said.
“My wife wants me to plant a garden too,” he commented. “But how do you keep the deer from eating everything?
Then his assistant chimed in that covered garden beds could be purchased online and that she’d get him the information!  It was nice having the opportunity to get better acquainted with him. Even then, I was on my way home in less than an hour. That has never happened before!
 After going through this pandemic with the COVID 19 virus, I think we all have a greater awareness of the ease at which some diseases are spread and of the necessary steps we must take to keep others and ourselves safe.
While outward cleanliness is important, being in right standing with God is even more important. Sin, common to all mankind, results in separation from Him and has eternal consequences. Most of us fall short of His standard for holiness daily, if not several times a day. Take Jesus’ commands to love God wholeheartedly and to love one another, for example. Hard to do on our own!
Jesus’ blood was shed on the cross to atone for our sins. While spending time on outward cleanliness, let’s come to God openly, admitting our sins and trusting Him to cleanse our hearts. Why hold back? He loves us!
*1John 1:9 NIV






Comments

Popular Posts