Blessed by the Best

“Here I am! Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me.” *

One of our grandsons has begun playing tennis on a combined team of students from two neighboring middle schools. It was special that Al and I were able to attend the first match of the season and the first match ever for Nate.

On a beautiful sunny afternoon, Al and I met up with mom Shanda and many others to support all of the kids who were playing. Nate was going to be playing doubles, unfortunately  on a court that was far from where we were sitting. We couldn’t see what was happening very well but could keep track of the game score cards hanging on the edge of the court.

He hadn’t played with his partner previously, who claimed to have a weak serve.

 Although it was a lop-sided match, Nate didn’t seem too disappointed by the loss and thought that maybe the coach would spend time with his partner working on serving the ball before the next team match.

Nate’s coach spoke to both boys afterwards for quite some time. He was wearing a visor, white warmup suit and mask. The jacket and mask were emblazoned with capital letters, “BBTB.”

“What do those letters mean?” I asked a parent curiously.

“Blessed by the best!” she answered.

There had to be a story behind that slogan. Since he was busy coaching, I decided to inquire about it in an email:

“My husband and I attended the tennis match on Tuesday (April 13) to support our grandson. We were pleased with the way all of the kids played & especially your professional way in coaching them. We both started out as Jr. High school teachers and know how much energy it takes...lots of fun but challenging at times too. So, thank you!”

Then I went on to ask about the story behind the letters BBTB. “Someone shared that they stand for ‘Blessed by the best!’ How encouraging for the kids! It also has helped me this week to be thankful for the many blessings I have, knowing that ‘every good gift is from above...’ (James 1:17)”

“I write a weekly newspaper column called “Good News!” for the Religion page of the local newspaper in our hometown of Porterville, California. Your slogan would be nice to incorporate into one of the articles. I try to share how God is living, active and what He is doing in my life & in the lives of others too. An email would be fine, when you have a minute... (hard to find I know) or you can call me at my home phone number…”

It was a surprise when the phone rang later that evening. It was Coach Hall, who not only coaches the middle school boys’ team, but also coaches the girls’ team, works at a tennis and golf shop, sells tennis rackets and is a teaching pro at the club in our neighborhood.

“And I’m retired!” he added.

 He obviously loves tennis; however even greater than that is his love for Jesus. When the coach happened to overhear someone  on his wife’s daily “prayer line” use the expression, “Blessed by the best,” it caught his attention.

“Hey, can I use that?” He asked the woman.

 “Sure,” she answered. “It doesn’t belong to anyone. Use it!” The phrase stuck with him and for years he has used it on his correspondence to team parents and when talking to his students. Picking up on that, former players and friends have gifted him with different items bearing the letters BBTB, including the mask and jacket.

His slogan seems appropriate for the team this year, encouraging the students by reminding them that to him, they are the best and that they are a blessing. And it also is a good reminder for those who know him to be grateful for the blessings God has given them.

Coach Hall likes it because it’s a great discussion starter…especially when people ask, “Well, who is your best?” Evangelism on the tennis court!

Thanks, coach, for putting so much time, energy and enthusiasm into the lives of young athletes. Thank you for living out your faith on and off the courts.

What a joy it is knowing Jesus and walking with Him along life’s journey! Truly, we can say that we are “Blessed by the Best!”

 

*Revelation 3:20 NIV

 

 

 



Comments

Popular Posts