Actively Observing!



 “Who is like the Lord our God, the One who sits enthroned on high, who stoops down to look on the heavens and the earth? He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes, with the princes of their people. He settles the barren woman in her home, as a happy mother of children. Praise the Lord!” *

Last Sunday afternoon found Al and me sitting in lawn chairs on the edge of a soccer field rooting for our youngest grandchild, Elliot, and his team. It wasn’t our original destination though. While we were on our way, a text message came on the cell phone. It was our daughter; however, I was so busy watching the GPS that I missed it.

When we didn’t answer the text right away, she decided to call. She and Elliot had already arrived. However there had been a mix-up. The team was informed that it was at the wrong place and would have to backtrack south several miles to another park with playing fields!

 It was amazing that she caught us at a spot not far from the new location. With directions from the trusty GPS, we arrived about the same time as Shanda and Elliot. He ran ahead to join the game just as it was beginning, while we walked with Shanda out to the field toting our chairs.

Shanda had also contacted her step-son Kevin and his girlfriend, who were on their way to the game. What would we have done in the days before cell phones and GPS systems? It wasn’t long before Elliot had five fans cheering him on, the three of us in chairs, joined by Kevin and Anna stretched out on a blanket, picnic style.

The opportunity to support young athletes, have good conversations and nice family time combined together to create an enjoyable and relaxing Sunday afternoon.

Normally I would have a hard time sitting still for an hour without something to do. In fact, my basket of letters to answer and cards to send was in the car…just in case.

 But without it, I was able to concentrate on the game and interact with Al and the family too. The two teams were closely matched, with the game ending in a tie, 2-2. 

Al and I have settled into the role of observers…not only at soccer games, but also at tennis practices and matches, concerts, plays and all kinds of activities, including those held online during the pandemic. Because we were living in California when Kevin was the same age, we missed his soccer games and most of his high school band performances. It has been special reconnecting with him during those times he is home from Michigan State. And of course, we love every opportunity we have to be together with Shanda, her husband and their family.

This is a new role for us—participating in the activities of our family as observers and fans, giving our support and cheering them on! Being observers feels strange after having been occupied with jobs and our own interests for so many years. Social interactions were mainly with friends from church and the community where we lived. Al and I only occasionally visited our families in Bakersfield, California and in Michigan.

Although I was never able to have children of my own, God is blessing me abundantly in my senior years. Looking back over my life, I agree wholeheartedly with the psalmist that there is much for which to praise the Lord.

Not only did He place me in a loving family with fantastic parents, He also provided a wonderful husband at the perfect time in my life, knew the disappointment I experienced when I was unable to have children of my own and then through Al provided Shanda and her family to satisfy the longing of my heart for children.

Our God is a big God…stooping down to look not just upon the earth but also upon the heavens! Yet, He sees each of us individually, knows the aches and longings of our hearts and has compassion on us.

Through Jesus, He has provided the way for me to be saved and to dwell with Him forever. My heart is overflowing! Praise the Lord!

 * Psalm 113:5-9

(In the picture above, Elliot is dressed in the dark blue uniform & is running for the invisible ball! "Go Elliot!")

 

 

  

Comments

Popular Posts