Easing into Aging





“Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” *

 

Fall is well under way in Michigan. The weather is changing along with the color of the oaks, maples and other deciduous trees. There seem to be more rainy days now, with an occasional thunderstorm and one recent sounding of the tornado warning siren. That always catches our attention!

As a child, I used to hear grownups talking about their bones aching in the cold weather. How could that be, I thought? But now that I’m in my seventh decade of life, my bones do ache with the dropping of the temperature. In fact, sometimes I can even predict rain ahead of time!

Maybe you can relate to the experience of feeling like the Tin Man from the wizard of OZ when you wake up on a damp, cool morning…or maybe on most mornings? Mom used to ask, “Why do people call these senior years the ‘Golden Years’? They should be called ‘the Rusty Years!’” She was right of course—moms usually are! An oil can might help!

Aging is a tough process, not easy for anyone. Life has a way of wearing our bodies down. It’s not fun getting frail and worn out, of thinking about taking a nap all day long and losing the motivation to do things…anything.

Some time ago I decided to donate my acoustic guitar to our church in Porterville. Al and I had phased out of the praise team, although we still loved singing worship songs as part of the congregation. I  had been focusing on learning the keyboard instead and wasn’t playing the guitar very much. Perhaps someone else would enjoy it.  

After playing the guitar for over forty years though,  I really missed it. I first learned when I was in my mid-twenties and led a youth group for my family’s home church in Bakersfield, California. Playing the guitar seemed like so much fun, and would be useful for accompanying the singing in various groups I attended.

A couple of college students took me to a pawn shop downtown where I purchased an acoustic guitar for fifty dollars. The kids in my group were more than happy to give me pointers; so, I took advantage of every opportunity to learn from them. I also spent a lot of time on my own learning basic chords and singing simple praise songs. A song from Matthew 6:33, “Seek Ye First,” was the first song I learned how to play.

From a very slow beginning, opportunities eventually came to accompany different groups and then later to participating in worship services. Al also loved to sing and for several years we were able to be on church worship teams together. In addition to the guitar, I began taking lessons on the keyboard after retiring from teaching.

 I’ve continued singing and playing the keyboard on my own; however, ever since giving away the guitar, there has been a strong desire to pick it up again. Three members of our Michigan family play: grandson Kevin who plays bass guitar in a band called the “Freezer Bees”; then his dad, Chris, who just recently began working on the acoustic guitar again after having put it down for several years; and now our twelve-year-old grandson, Nate, who is taking lessons on the electric guitar.

One evening when I drove Nate to his music lesson, I decided to ask his teacher if he had an acoustic guitar for sale. He did, for fifty dollars! That night I went home with a guitar, a bag— and such joy in my heart!

Somehow my fingers seem to remember the chords, along with the pain felt when pressing down on the steel strings! No matter. It just feels right to be holding a guitar again.

Focusing on the things to come, hoping for a time when aches and pains will vanish, and when we will be able to praise the Lord in person puts everything in the right perspective. There is still so much ahead. Every day following Jesus is one more step into eternity. Take heart!

2Corinthians 4:16-18 NIV

                                        

           

Comments

Popular Posts