The Good News in Action!





On a sunny day last September, when the grass was still growing in people’s front yards and lawn service outfits could be seen everywhere, our lab TJ and I happened to walk by a home where a man was taking a riding mower out of his trailer. This particular man caught my attention due to having a neon yellow prosthetic leg. As we walked by, he came around to pat TJ’s head.

 “Isn’t it a beautiful day?” I commented.

 “It sure is,” he replied with a friendly grin.

 “Praise the Lord!” The words just flowed out of my mouth, coming from an overflowing heart. It really was wonderful to be outside and exercising, with TJ walking contentedly beside me instead of dragging me down the street!

At that he asked, “Do you read the Bible?”

“Yes, I do. I love reading the Bible.”

 TJ waited patiently by my side while we talked for a bit, unusual for such an energetic dog. The man shared that in addition to the yard work, he was also going to seminary and was praying about possibly becoming a minister.  

Before TJ and I continued our walk, he said, “Here! I have something for you.”  He reached into his pocket and handed me a wooden object. “I make these and hand them out wherever I go.”

The object in my hand resembled a strip of bacon! It was a thin slice of a piece of wood that had been fashioned into a bookmark. The bookmark was sanded smooth and stained so that the grains of wood stood out clearly. He had penned a verse on the bottom, Galatians 2:19-21.

 “Do you know this verse?” I asked. It seemed very familiar but I couldn’t remember the wording.

 “No. I just pick out verses that I like, but don’t know them all by heart.” It seemed ironic that although we were both into reading the Bible neither of us could remember that particular scripture.

“Well, thanks so much! I’ll go home and look it up. By the way, what’s your name?”

“Noah!” he replied, smiling.

“Noah! How appropriate!” I exclaimed, envisioning the ark underneath a shining rainbow.

He was a modern-day type of Noah, not letting an obstacle stop him, but living a full and productive life and bringing hope to his corner of the world. I was amazed at his generosity and creativity in spreading the good news of Jesus.

After introducing myself and TJ to him, I thanked him again and said good-bye. When we got home, I studied the bookmark again and found the passage in Galatians, part of which is quoted below:

 “... I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing.” (Gal. 2: 20-21 NIV) The whole gospel in a nutshell! Or on a bookmark!

An online video helped me understand the process Noah had to go through to make a bookmark out of a plank of scrap wood. It is a time-consuming one that involves sawing the wood and planing it down to about one sixteenth of an inch thick, then sandpapering both sides and the rough edges too. Finally, it is stained and varnished until the grain stands out clearly. Noah also gave his bookmarks a distinctive touch by inscribing a scripture reference on each of them.

The bookmark reminds me of the way God works in my life as I give Him permission. He uses suffering to help me develop perseverance; and by persevering in faith transforms me to become more like Christ. With change comes hope and the assurance that I am loved.

Lord, may we be able to rejoice in the midst of our suffering, knowing that You are with us. Help us persevere that we might become more like You. And like Noah, may we spread the news of Your love to a hurting world. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

 

“…but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” Romans 5:3-5 NIV

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts