Creatures of Habit*

                                               

                            

No matter how dreary the weather, it seems like the sun makes an appearance through our west-facing kitchen window almost every afternoon before disappearing into a canopy of trees and shrubs. Perhaps getting a clue from the setting sun, a chipmunk has been climbing up a tree directly across from that same window where he sits on a stump of a branch eating pinecones from a hidden stash in the snow.

After digging around and uncovering a cone, he’ll hold it in his mouth and scamper back up to his perch.  With a paw at each end of the cone, he proceeds to chew feverishly, eating the seeds and spitting out the rest in a spray. His furry tail, curled up over his head to keep it warm, glows in the last rays of light.

Watching the little chipmunk reminds me of the way my dad used to eat corn on the cob! Holding the cob in both hands, he’d work his way from one row to another, occasionally stopping to grin at us.

“Oh Dad,” we’d all groan, looking at the corn stuck between his teeth. “That’s gross!”

 Our hungry little visitor usually stays for about a half hour or longer, only leaving the tree to find another pinecone. He’s certainly a creature of habit, arriving every afternoon around 4:00!

TJ our lab is also a creature of habit, due to the daily routine I’ve set for him. Now he expects things to happen at their prescribed time and in the same way. Changes to the routine are bewildering to him.

Because I haven’t been feeling well this past week, taking him out for a walk hasn’t been a good option. What sad glances he throws my way when the clock approaches the time we usually go walking. How does he know?

When our friend, Jim, called and kindly offered to take TJ around the block, I didn’t hesitate to accept .TJ was delighted when I got his leash and harness, prancing around me with joy. After I handing Jim the leash, I hurriedly went back into the house, wanting to stay warm.

 Later Jim texted, “For the first 100 yards, TJ kept looking back for you. Cute.”

No one had explained the change to TJ, who must have been perplexed. Hard to walk forward when facing backward.

 It had been almost five years since TJ and his brother, Teddy, were exercised by others while I recuperated from a broken hip. After I was cleared to take them out walking again, we hardly ever missed a day. Since Teddy’s passing in July, TJ and I have bonded together so that he always wants to be by my side. He certainly is a creature of habit…but then so am I!

We all have set patterns of behavior to which we have become accustomed, like ways of organizing our lives which make things easier. Some have been established since childhood; others are picked up along the way.

Think about our New Year’s resolutions. Old habits can prevent us from following through with them. New habits can give success by supporting those resolutions. There are bad habits that pull us away from God and good habits that help us become all that He wants us to be.

Besides behavioral habits, some patterns of thinking that create problems in our relationship with Him are 1) believing that we have to earn God’s favor and 2) that His gifts and blessings are the reward for something good we have done. Such thinking is focused around self, ignoring the role of God’s grace and goodness in our lives.

So how can we even become aware of, let alone change, deeply ingrained habits? It happens through the working of the Holy Spirit as we surrender our lives to God each day. The apostle Paul wrote, “I want to know Christ…” 

May that be our overwhelming desire and determination as we enter this new year.

 “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining to what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:10a, 12-14 NIV

*From quote by Edgar Rice Burroughs

                                    

 

       

Comments

Popular Posts