New Perspectives

 





I’m standing in the front room, staring out the window at confetti-like specks floating towards me then bouncing off the window panes. Snow! Our friend Paul over in Vermont, had this to say about the frigid weather hitting the northeast and midwestern states, “It’s March!”

Well, he’s right about the unpredictable weather. March really does “come in like a lion!” But will it go out like “a lamb?” Hope so! And soon!

Should I complain about the gray skies and plummeting temperatures, or think about the positive side of the weather this day? The beauty of the snowflakes floating down, swirling first this way, then that way until they touch the grass and melt. Coming from the central valley in California, where my sister reported 80-degree weather yesterday, snowflakes falling from the sky still seem somewhat of a miracle.

The swirling snow strangely reminds me of something else—the gnats that have been showing up in our house, making their appearance in front of the bright computer screen or anything reflective. They also seem to like meal time!

Our windows are still tightly sealed from the winter with paper towels stuffed in gaps preventing cold air from blowing in. Nothing is left open. So where are the gnats coming from?

Occasionally I’ve seen a few flying around one of the potted houseplants and have suspected that they might be breeding in the soil.

Dish soap mixed with water sprayed over the leaves and soil of the plants is supposed to help. Also, the bananas are covered with insect-proof covers, the garbage can in the kitchen contains only papers and the sinks are kept dry. In spite of those precautions, they show up almost daily.

Dad used to chase after a single fly with a can of fly spray all through the house. We kids would run for cover when we saw him coming! He was good with a fly swatter too. But gnats are harder to swat than flies. They seem to take an unpredictable path and they keep returning, no matter how many are swatted.

Frigid weather for too long, gnats in the house and a myriad of other things irritate me, especially when I’m tired, physically, mentally or emotionally or perhaps in all of these areas. Then it’s easy to be impatient, to get offended or critical…and hard to keep my mouth shut!

Afterwards comes confession, repentance, then “saying I’m sorry” to the one offended. Hopefully in the days to come, I can focus on the positive side of things rather than dwelling on the negative and ask God for new perspectives.  

Maybe when I see the snowflakes, I can stop and appreciate the beauty of God’s creation, thanking Him for the wonder of it all, taking time to let Him refresh me—in body, soul and spirit. 

And maybe the tiny gnats can help me remember the importance of doing something for someone else today, no matter how small or insignificant it seems… like being patient, smiling, saying a kind word or giving someone a compliment and especially telling God “Thank you” more often. That doesn’t mean the gnats won’t get swatted though!

I’m looking forward to the inspiration and joy received from attending Palm Sunday and Easter Services at church, to celebrating Jesus’ victory over death and the hope that brings for us. In the meantime, may we walk hand in hand with Him, keeping our focus on Jesus and our hearts filled with gratitude…no matter what!

“I Will Rise” (Chris Tomlin)

(pre chorus)

“Jesus has overcome

And the grave is overwhelmed

The victory is won

He is risen from the dead

(chorus)

And I will rise when He calls my name

No more sorrow, no more pain

I will rise on eagle’s wings

Before my God fall on my knees

 and rise

I will rise…”

 

“I have told you these things, so that in me you might have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NIV

“Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.” Revelation 3:19-21 NIV

(Pictured above, Grandson Elliot, Easter Sunday 2023)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts