Hearing God’s Voice

 

 




“While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and voice from the cloud said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!’” *

It was time to take TJ, our lab, for a walk. At least, he thought so! He could hardly stand still after waiting patiently all afternoon.

 “Stay, TJ,” I commanded as I opened the front door and prepared to step out onto the front porch. I didn’t want him to strain at the leash and pull me off the porch! He stopped and waited for me to lock the door; then we headed out to the sidewalk together.  

The thought came into my mind that we should start in the opposite direction from the normal route. TJ looked confused, but followed obediently.

We hadn’t gone far when a voice from behind called my name. I turned around to see a friendly neighbor, Hermine, who was also out for her evening walk. A nice surprise!

It took some coaxing to get TJ to turn around. However, he finally cooperated, and we joined Hermine, retracing our former steps. She was one of the first people Al and I  met after moving into the neighborhood.

Hermine is a lovely person with a strong faith in the Lord, a source of joy and comfort to people who know her. That afternoon though, she seemed somber, not her usual self. While walking, Hermine shared that she was tired out from gardening, working, involvement in her church and also from trying to help family and friends in need of special assistance.  

We stopped for a moment, as I prayed for her. Afterward she said that while looking for a video on You Tube, she had come across one entitled, “How to hear from God.”

“But, why should I pay to hear from God?” she said laughingly.

Then she turned to me with a thought-provoking question: “How do you hear from God?”

 “Well, I don’t have a quick, easy answer to that question, Hermine,” I responded honestly.

Although He has never spoken audibly to me, there are many times when He seems to be nudging me to do something. I explained that the best times to hear Him are moments when I am quiet and undistracted.

Usually first thing in the morning, I read and reflect on a few Psalms, a chapter in Proverbs and various passages of scripture. Then I write two letters in my journal—one that begins, “Dear Judy” and the other, “Dear Jesus.”  

The first letter is hardest, requiring time to sit still and wait for the thoughts to come. Sometimes they relate to a scripture that was just read or another passage. Not all of the thoughts are from him; however, over time it has become easier to discern his thoughts from mine.

My letter often includes a prayer, for example a prayer asking him for strength to obey when there is something I feel Him telling me to do. Most of the time these are just small things, nothing major.  Yet later I can see how He was directing me.

 “Like running into you today, Hermine!” I said with a smile. As we parted ways her steps seemed lighter. Perhaps her burdens had been lifted. Our meeting, a “God” appointment, was a blessing to me anyway!

            I continued to ponder her question through the rest of the day. Reading scriptures, journaling, praying, praising God, singing…all of these things help us to have open hearts and listening ears. Quiet times outdoors are precious too.

With the coming of spring, I have enjoyed walking on our gravel path in the back yard, soaking in the beauty of the yellow lupine bush glowing with the first rays of the sun, stopping at the windchime we bought in memory of our daughter, Shanda and sitting on the bench in the prayer garden or on the yard swing. These simple things help me focus on Jesus.

 He is speaking. Am I listening? Are you?

*Matthew 17:25 NIV

“In the Garden”

“I come to the garden alone,

While the dew is still on the roses;

And the voice I hear, falling on my ear,

The Son of God discloses.

 And He walks with me,

and He talks with me,

and He tells me I am His own.

And the joy we share as we tarry there,

 None other has ever known.” 

(Hymn by C. Austin Miles, 1912)

                                          

                                         

                                           

                                           

                                           

                                           

                                              

Comments

Popular Posts