Pressing On for “Higher Ground”

 






“… But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” *

When my husband Al and I signed up for a backpack in the “foothills” of Denali, Alaska, I had no idea what to expect. We were told that it would be a strenuous outing and were given a training regimen to follow beforehand.  

Al followed the training regimen, but I wasn’t so dedicated, something that I regretted once we were on the backpack. My plan was to get in shape on the trail, something that had worked for me before.

However, this trip was different. For one thing, we weren’t on a trail! Most of the time, we were hiking cross-country through rugged terrain—up steep slopes, then down through thickets of willow, over the moraines of the Ruth Glacier, skirting crevasses on the glacier itself and wading through its icy streams of water. I had no idea!

It was challenging from the beginning, when a pontoon plane dropped us off on a remote lake, several feet from the shore! Ten of us, including two guides, gathered on the bank of the lake to dry off and set up camp for that evening.

The next morning, we donned heavy packs and followed our guides up the side of a steep ridge. Halfway up the rugged ridge, our group stopped for a rest. I was worn out, wondering if I could go on.

 That was when an elderly man in the group told the leader, Diane, that he didn’t think he would be able to make it. Diane had forewarned us that if anyone needed to be flown out by bush plane, he or she would be charged for the cost.

While Diane radioed her father, an experienced bush pilot, Al turned to me and asked if I wanted to be flown out too. He knew how exhausted I was; but after some soul-searching, I decided to keep going.

One step at a time, straining with the weight of the pack and keeping my eye on the crest of the ridge, we slowly made our way upward. Looking back on that moment, I’m glad that I decided to stay. It turned out to be the adventure of a lifetime and a learning experience too!

Well, that was a very long time ago. Our lives have changed through the years. The obstacles we now face are usually those from everyday living or those related to aging!  Often our problems seem overwhelming, especially when they happen at the same time. 

For instance, in addition to the perplexities caused by trying to operate the computer, ordering things online rather than buying them in person has been problematic for me. Instead of playing ping pong on a full-sized table for example, we now have a mini version…something that has definitely required some adjustments on the part of the ping pong players!

Then there were the replacement canopies for the lawn swing and patio table umbrella. After they were delivered, I discovered that the canopy for the swing was too large and the one for the umbrella too small! Now what?

            Al suggested using the swing without the canopy. “It’s easier to see the stars that way!” he laughed.

The lawn swing had been purchased on sale at a local hardware store. It wasn’t easy to find a replacement canopy online. However, I finally found the contact information for the company that manufactured it. Hopefully that problem will be solved soon.    

As for the umbrella’s canopy, a trip to the hardware store resulted in the purchase of a new smaller umbrella, pole and all. It was made by the same company as the canopy that had been ordered online. The former one could be kept for use in the future.

So we’re moving along, learning as we go, making adjustments and encouraging each other along the way, especially as we face greater problems and obstacles more difficult to overcome.

May God enable us to continue to press on by faith, and strengthen us as we reach for “higher ground.”

“Lord, lift me up and let me stand, by faith on heaven’s table-land, a higher plane than I have found; Lord plant my feet on higher ground.” (“Higher Ground” a hymn by Johnson Oatman, Jr.1856-1922)

* Philippians 3:13b-14 NIV


                                         

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts