Which Path to Choose?
“Enter through the narrow gate. For
wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many
enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life,
and only a few find it.” *
Al and I had only been engaged a
few weeks before we joined hiking friends on a backpacking adventure in the
Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The well-worn trail was about twelve miles total,
making a loop from South Lake near Mammoth, California, over a high mountain
pass to a basin where we would set up camp.
After a rigorous day or two of hiking, we
arrived at the designated campsite, looking forward to having a break on the
following day. Some people remained at the camp, while others chose to explore
the area on different trails. Al wanted to hike cross-country over a ridge
nearby and down into the next basin. Although it would have been nice to stay
back and rest, I decided to go with him.
The going was not easy, especially as we
crossed a boulder field strewn with large boulders. Hopping from one to the
other was easier than trying to squeeze around them! It didn’t take long before
I was worn out, even though Al claimed that I was better than he at boulder
hopping! Falling behind, I kept repeating the wedding vow, “For better or for
worse…” as I faced each granite obstacle.
We finally reached our destination
and stopped for a rest before heading back to camp. Going downhill was
definitely easier than the uphill route, at least in my opinion.
During that “engagement” backpack, I
began to discover something about Al that I hadn’t known before—he preferred
going uphill rather than downhill! I shouldn’t have been surprised when cross-country
skiing at Badger Pass ski resort in Yosemite National Park on our honeymoon, he
pointed his skis up the mountain.
“What, you mean we’re not going to use the
chair lift?” I asked, amazed. Apparently not! Riding the chair lift would have
been so much easier!
Another time, early on in our marriage, Al was
in front of a pack of cross country skiers, plowing through newly fallen snow
as the trail began to ascend a ridge. “You know, you are going to have a hard
time keeping up with that man!” observed one of the women. I was beginning to
figure that out. Following Al for a lifetime was definitely going to require a
great deal of energy and perseverance on my part!
Of course, things change with time.
It has been forty-four years since our engagement in August, 1982. In spite of
being limited in mobility, Al still has the resolve to be active physically and
continues his daily exercise routine faithfully.
Recently while grocery shopping, he
chose to help me by pushing the grocery cart instead of riding in an electric
one. Even though the going was slow and laborious, he wanted to push the cart.
Although grocery shopping is less
of a challenge than climbing over a mountain pass or cross country skiing to the
top of a snow-covered ridge, I am grateful that to this day, Al chooses to push
himself beyond his comfort zone. Honestly, without his leadership, I would have
chosen the easy route through life. But in the end, I would have regretted it.
The same is true of my relationship
with Christ. Without Him, I would have taken the broad path, the one leading
away from God and ultimately to destruction. He told His followers that if they
wanted to find abundant life now and for eternity, they needed to start at the
narrow gate. The narrow gate?
Jesus claimed to be the gate, the
way to God. When we put our trust in Him, we are on the right path. We might be
shocked when things seem to be getting harder rather than easier. In fact, he
described the path as being narrow, more like a trail and most likely uphill!
There could be, probably will be,
obstacles that seem like boulders blocking the way. Too hard? Consider the path
Jesus took, the one that led to Calvary, the one He chose to take…for us. And
remember, we aren’t alone on the journey. He is with us always.
Lord, help us as we choose to
follow You! In Jesus’ name, Amen.
*Matthew 7:13-14 NIV


.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment