Finally Starting Gourd Projects

This afternoon I decided to work on four basket and bottle gourds which we grew last summer and have had drying in the garage. The hard outer rinds had already been scraped off, revealing a beautiful golden-oak color. The next step would be to cut into them with my little saw, empty out the seeds and then decide what they would become.

 There was only one problem...the directions to the gourd kit were missing and I couldn't remember some key points, like how to insert the bit into the drill or the tiny serrated blade into the gourd saw. A lot of time was wasted trying various ways to put the drill and the saw together; and I nearly gave up until I could get a new set of directions from the original company. However, I had wanted to make bird houses, bowls and other projects for a long time and decided to keep at it, until finally both of the tools worked and holes were drilled and sawed into the thick shelled gourds. Not pretty holes, just jagged ones, but at least it was a good start.

After everything was cleaned and put away, I had a deep sense of satisfaction. It was fun and enjoyable in spite of all of the hassle at the beginning. Now to see what they will become... hmmm...that is the rewarding part!

You know, I think my sense of joy must reflect the same feeling God has when we give Him permission to mold and shape us, to make us in the image of Christ and to use us for the advancement of His kingdom. Wonder if He takes before and after pictures? Hope so!

A birdhouse gourd made in 2008 with the help of a friend!
"We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10 NIV
Growing the gourds summer of 2012

Comments

Popular Posts