Peace in the Midst of a Storm


There was quite a light show in the eastern sky on Sunday night. Thunderheads had accumulated during the day, piling up against the Sierras. Just around bedtime, about 10:00 p.m., I heard a faint roar and wondered what it could be.
     
 Teddy, our Golden Retriever, had also heard the low rumbling sound and began barking out in the dog run. I poked my head out the door, reminding him that it was just thunder and that it wasn’t going to hurt him. His “brother” TJ listened and lay down; however Teddy kept on barking. I turned on the back porch light which usually helps calm both dogs and then went into the bedroom to get ready for bed. Al was already reading; so I told him about the lightning and thunder.  
     
 “Teddy’s upset,” I said. “Sure hope he settles down.”
        
Al agreed. Barking dogs are annoying, especially when trying to sleep. Teddy did calm down some; however, just as I was drifting off, there was another loud clap of thunder.   
     
 “Yip, yip, yip, help, help, help,” he cried from the backyard. So, I changed clothes again, put on my shoes and then perched on top of his igloo doghouse inside the run.  
    
 “Teddy, God made the thunder. It comes with the lightning. Not scary…” although at times the loud booms did make us jump. Around 11:00, I got up and went back into the house, hoping Teddy would fall asleep too.
       
 There was a brief interlude of silence, then more barking in a frenzied tone. Out I went again. This time I quietly sat in a chair on the patio thinking he would sense my disapproval and settle down, which he did.
   
At 12:40, the commotion started up again. I was so tired that I decided to sleep out on the grass beside the dog run. Half asleep, I found an old shower curtain for a ground cover, a sleeping bag and a pillow and threw it all down on the ground underneath the moonlight sky.
     
 The ground was hard—I had forgotten how hard. And Tigger the cat was determined to sleep on top of my head, which made it difficult to roll over! Teddy became quiet; but I was wide awake, wondering when the automatic sprinklers were going to come on and trying to decide if that tickling sensation in my hair was caused by Tigger’s tail or by ants. Judging by the sounds of the thunder, the storm seemed to be moving eastward.
        
After another long hour or so, I noticed a wonderful, cool breeze blowing across my face carrying the fragrant scent of the night-blooming cactus flowers in the cactus garden. It would have been a pleasant campout, if only the ground had been softer! Finally, it was over and I opted for our bed, dragging everything except Tigger back into the house. We were able to finish out the night without any further disturbance.
        
 An artist could use that scene to illustrate the concept of peace in the midst of the storm…two dogs curled up in their run, the sky lit up with lightning and someone in a sleeping bag nearby keeping vigil through the night. If sound accompanied the picture, you would also be able to hear purring over the thunderclaps!
         
Jesus has promised us peace in the midst of life’s storms, dear Readers. May He bring calmness to you this week as you turn your worries and problems over to Him. He loves you!

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 NIV  
published in Porterville Recorder on 8-24-13

Comments

Popular Posts