How Much Longer?



“He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” *
Waiting is wearisome isn’t it? Most of us are yearning for the time when the restrictions and “stay at home” orders due to COVID 19 will be lifted and our former lifestyles can be resumed. It seems to be going on and on. How tempting to bend the rules just a little…
Al and I are looking forward to getting our hair cut again. Of course, there are some “do it yourself methods,” like using a bowl as a guide. One friend shared how his mother used a soup bowl to cut his brothers’ hair when they were young. One day she found it broken beyond repair! Better to wait until the beauty shops reopen!
Looking back on my life, many of the greatest lessons learned or benefits received have come from waiting. I fretted, worried and prayed anxiously through the greater part of thirty-five years for the right man to come along. At one point, I even considered putting an ad in the paper!
 Al was God’s perfect answer to my prayers, arriving just about the time I had made up my mind that my life would be happy and full regardless of being married or single. As I look back now, He was preparing me to be a good team partner, but my relationship with Him had to be solid and strong first.
I had a burning desire to have children; but as the years passed by, the possibility of having children decreased and my dream faded away. Al’s daughter was ten years old when we were married. Who would have guessed that she’d marry and become stepmother of two young children and a few years later give birth to two sons?  In addition to being a stepmom and mother-in-law, I am now the ecstatic grandma of four great kids.
The Lord provided a family for me, just not in the way I had originally expected. What a wonderful surprise! In the interim, I began a new career teaching elementary school and also found fulfillment working with the children of our church, even though there were times of feeling sorry for myself and struggling with doubt.
Our friends, Mike and Anita Barratt, have also recently received a wonderful answer to prayer after a seven-month search for an adult foster home for Anita’s younger sister, Emily. When Emily had some health issues and had to be moved from her residence, Mike and Anita took her into their own home.
This happened while Anita was working full-time. Not only did they give her a comfortable and safe place to stay, Anita took her to doctor’s appointments and helped oversee the nursing aspect of Emily’s care while Mike kept them all well-fed!
 When Anita was only 12 years old, she had to assume responsibility for Emily due to their mother’s health issues. With their mother in the hospital, Anita took over running the household, a difficult task especially with Emily’s disabilities. According to Anita, “Emily always had trouble with a LOT of things, such as learning in school or things as simple as making friends.”
Because they lived in a small town, neighbors, relatives and friends from church checked in on them occasionally. Anita describes those folks as God’s angels. “You see, I’ve always been blessed by being surrounded by angels and my faith would always help me look to God! Hope is the reason I made it through those days when I was “winging it” as an adult far sooner than my age should demand…”
 Recently, after months of waiting and praying, a care facility became available. It was perfect, four miles away from their house with a private room for Emily as well as a loving environment. And all of this happened in the middle of the COVID 19 restrictions!
“God doesn’t give us the whole book to read in one weekend. He just gives us one chapter at a time,” laughs Anita. The benefits of waiting far outweigh the benefits of rushing ahead without His guidance. Perhaps while we wait on God, He is waiting on us!  
*Isaiah 40:29-31 NIV
Emily(youngest), Regina (oldest sibling), Anita (middle sibling)








Comments

Popular Posts