Thinking About Communion and the Cross

I was asked to give a short children's sermon on Sunday, relating something about communion to the youngsters in the congregation. In thinking about what to share with them, it occurred to me that the reason we take communion is to remember Jesus' death on the cross. And why did He have to die? It was for the sins of each of us. No matter how long we have walked with Him, sins still keep happening in our lives. They multiply faster than dust bunnies behind the furniture! This week alone, I have told a lie, exaggerated the truth, had many wrong thoughts and have said some unkind words. Every day, I struggle with judging others on the basis of outward appearance and also with pride. Consequently, each morning I come to God confessing my sins from the day before and thanking Him for His mercy, love and forgiveness. Communion reminds us of what Jesus did on the cross and of the new life we have in Him. There is not to be discouragement, but rather hope! This is good news! Ü
"If we confess our sins, he (God) is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1John 1:9.

Comments

Popular Posts