"Centering Down"

Al and I are  looking forward to a four day visit from his daughter Shanda and her family...husband Chris, Kendra (15), Kevin (12), Nate (4) and Elliot (2). They are flying to California from Michigan on Saturday and will be arriving at our house in Springville sometime that afternoon.

I have a couple of mental lists which are occupying lots of time and using up much mental energy, like the grocery list for example. Feeding eight instead of two is somewhat challenging. On Sunday, some of my side of the family will be coming to meet Elliot for the first time and to reconnect with the Shanda, Chris, K, Kand N. That means feeding anywhere from 14 to 20 depending on who can make it.

Then there are all the things I'd like to do before they get here: getting caught up on the laundry, washing the windows and deadheading the roses, in addition to cleaning the whole house one more time. Oh, and also making the house & yard "kid safe" for little Elliot and other toddlers who will be coming on Sunday.

My mind is busy thinking of menus, activities for the kids to do when they get here and chores to take care of ahead of time. All of these preoccupations intrude upon the time usually devoted to prayer and focusing on the Lord as I walk through the day. Well, it's time to "center down" as Al's mom would say. When things begin clamoring for my attention and there is a din in my head, I need to run to Jesus and fix my eyes upon Him. He is in control!

"Jesus be the center" by Michael Frye is one of our favorite songs. "Jesus be the center, be my source, be my light, Jesus..."  I need to have those words running in my brain over and over during the next week or so. Will I still be excited? You bet! Will Jesus be glorified? He will if He's in control! And that's my plan!

"The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace..." Romans 8:6 NIV
Chris, Kendra, Shanda & Nate, Kevin visiting Grandpa Al & Grandma Judy in 2010 (before Elliot!)
              photo by Al Lowery

Comments

Popular Posts