Genuine Gratitude



On Thanksgiving Day, Al and I helped with the community dinner organized by the Porterville Area Ministerial Association. We spent several hours supervising the kitchen at Grand Avenue Methodist church—something far out of our comfort zone.
Although we worried about it ahead of time, on the day of the actual event things went very smoothly. The turkey been shredded by the “early morning” crew and was already in warming pans when we arrived. The mashed potatoes were being made in a different kitchen at the church; the green beans, stuffing and pies were all prepared at other churches. Only the gravy remained to be made in the main kitchen.
The assembling of the dinners into containers was done by many volunteers in the adjoining fellowship hall, minimizing foot traffic through the kitchen. When help was needed, people came in to wash the pots and pans, mop the floor and put things away. It was very well- orchestrated, with no major spills or burns, thankfully.
During a lull in activity, one of the volunteers began sharing a little of his life’s story with me. I asked him about the calligraphy letters tattooed vertically on his arm.
“Jesus lives,” he said with a smile.”When I’m walking down the street, I want gang members to see what I believe.” At that he put his arm down by his side and sure enough, I could read the words. He shared how he had been involved in drugs at an early age. When he was about 18 years old, a tree limb fell on him, causing him to be paralyzed. After many surgeries and a long period of rehabilitation, he was actually able to walk again...a miracle.
“I love Jesus,” he said passionately as our conversation ended and things got busy again. “No one can ever take my Jesus away from me. I want everybody to know my Jesus!” Gratitude, love, heartfelt devotion...he was inspiring.
After the containers were filled with Thanksgiving dinners and being delivered to several hundred families in the community, our kitchen team of three—Al, myself and a friend who had been helping since 5:00 a.m.—began the final mop-up before heading home. I happened to be standing at the back door sweeping out the heavy rubber mats which covered the floor when an elderly man rode up on his bicycle.
“Food?” he asked.
“You want food?” Everything had been either given away or stored for future use. He nodded his head yes. “Well, hang on a minute. I’ll see what I can find.”
Five rolls, a container of shredded turkey meat...if only he had come earlier.  He reached out and received the food with a huge smile, then lifted up his face to heaven and said a quiet prayer in Spanish.
“Thank you!” He uttered another heartfelt prayer and then rode off, toothpaste & toothbrush in a baggie dangling from the handlebars and a bedroll strapped behind the seat. It looked like every possession he owned was fastened to that bike.
A few days later, Al and I dropped off some desserts and rolls left over from our family gathering at the home of a needy friend. She was so surprised and pleased that she kept asking, “Are you sure? Are you sure? Are you sure?”
“Yes, I’m sure. It’s all for you. Enjoy!” I replied.
Now it’s my turn! I am thankful for the people in our community who share their resources with those in need, for those who express their gratitude in many different ways and for God who provides abundantly for us all. Our God is an awesome God!
“Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.” Psalm 150:6 NIV

(Published in the Porterville Recorder 12/7/13)

Comments

Popular Posts