"Joy to the World!"



      When I was a little girl, the joy and excitement of Christmas morning in the Turner household centered on opening up the gifts piled high beneath the tree. Some of the brightly wrapped presents had been there for several days and had been shaken, turned and examined thoroughly to try to discover what was inside. My mom used to threaten us kids with taking them back to the store if we guessed what they were.  Santa always seemed to bring more presents in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve—sometimes a bike, a train set for my brother or another Barbie doll for my sister—until it seemed like the whole room was full.
        I used to anticipate that special morning way ahead of time, even imagining or dreaming that I could hear Santa’s sleigh bells outside the window, only waking up to find out that it was July, the middle of the summer, and we still had to wait five more months! As I reached my teens, however, some of that excitement ebbed away. Who wanted to get up before noon, anyway?
      My mom solved the problem by having twins when I was 13!  My little brother, Jack, who was full of energy anyway, could hardly contain his excitement. When he had outgrown the crib and had his own bed, he’d be up early...sometimes so early that Dad would send him back to bed. He wouldn’t give up though. Soon the whole family would be roused and we’d all be jumping with energy and joy.
       Here we are a half century later...Christmas Eve 2013. Al and I are spending a quiet evening at home, due to his still recuperating after having his ankle joint replacement surgery a couple of weeks ago. When he gets ready for bed, I’ll sneak out and fill our stockings with goodies and maybe wrap up the neck scarf I’m making for him, with knitting needles still attached in keeping with tradition. (Where did the month go???)
     Things have changed; life has changed. Christmas is now more about family and giving to those in need than receiving gifts. It is a wonderful time to celebrate and rejoice in the great gift that God has given to us.
Happy Birthday, Jesus! I love you! Judy

 “Joy to the world the Lord has come; Let earth receive her king; Let every heart prepare Him room, and heaven and nature sing...”  “Joy to the World” by Isaac Watts

Comments

Popular Posts